Chapter 6

MINERVA'S P.O.V

"Miss, it's getting late. You could save some energy now. Come back again tomorrow."

The nurse shook my hand. I looked up to the window. It's dark. Oh, almost 9 PM. The last time I remember was talking to my parents and Elena about Shireen's condition. She definitely needed me here. And her mom as well - she kept crying non-stop til finally fell asleep. I felt terrible for them. Shireen has no more family but her one and only mom.

"Can't I just stay?"

"Unfortunately the visit hour has over. You may come over at 8 tomorrow morning."

"What about her mom?"

"I'll wake her up later. Doctor agrees to give Mrs. Olson a space just for tonight."

I stroked Shireen's hair. She's still peacefully asleep. "Keep them safe for me okay?"

"We will. Now please, if you don't mind."

"Okay."

I walked out of the room with the nurse. She left me by the elevator corridor. I took a moment to embrace what happened today. Just a thought in my head to let the police involve. We need to find the driver who hit Shireen.

"You're still here."

That voice got me goosebumps.

"And you're still here."

"Waiting for you."

"Don't bother."

"No, I do it for myself. Not taking risk."

"I'm okay now. You may leave. Thank you for saving Shireen, once again. We appreciate that."

Surpassing him, I bowed my head walked to the elevator. I wish it didn't take forever to just come down to level 3 and pick me up from here. Because that stare, I could feel it making a hole on my back. Those eyes I just couldn't handle.

"Let me drive you home." He interrupted my step into the elevator.

"I'm not sure about that." I tried to smile. "Thank you. Good night."

He thankfully didn't catch the same elevator with me. I felt bad for leaving him alone in there, but he supposed to just go home when he had time. Last time I checked, these Before You Exit guys had nothing to do anymore with the accident. They have brought my friend up here, she's safe now, so that's all. It's odd anyway, I didn't see Connor or Toby around. Only him. Him and his tired face.

Somebody tapped my shoulder. "Still don't want to take a ride with me?"

"Jesus!" I jumped back.

"Hey Mirv, you done? Let's go home then." Paul interrupted from the car park across us.

Oh dammit what in the world is happening.

Look at these dudes. One dude named Riley McDonough has been asking me twice in 10 minutes to take his ride home. Second, Paul the boss also surprisingly stayed around until this late night only to make sure I would go home with him. Might as well just kill me right now. I have no idea what's going on. Can't Shireen's condition just be my only focus?

"Riley? You're still here. I thought you were with the rest. I saw them leaving..." Paul spoke straight with him.

"Yeah I need to make sure something first." Riley glanced at me. "Ready?"

"Uh...I think she'll be safe with me. We don't want to bother you with anything." Paul walked toward us.

"Oh my gosh." I rubbed my eyes. What the heck to do now.

"You're tired? Alright let's go it's cold out here." Riley took off his jacket and wrapped my shoulders.

"Please you don't have to. I can take the bus..." I whispered.

"For once, let me rule this. I want to drive you home. Please." He begged in a serious tone.

"Minerva?" Paul looked disturbed. "I thought we're going home together?"

I groaned. None of these guys was ready to step back. Each of them glared me with car keys in their hands. It took a lot of efforts just to give a girl some ride, don't you think? And in this particular tough day, I've had to deal with two people I really wish for now I didn't meet. It would've been easier if one of them just went home earlier than the other, so I would take anybody's right at this moment. Or just might as well go back altogether because bus sounds easier to me.

"Mirv." Paul deepened his voice. He offered a hand to me.

"Please?" Riley opened the door for me.

"God's sake!" I tossed my knees to the ground. "Paul... Paul please you know me better than this. You know I don't want to hurt you. Please just go. We'll meet again tomorrow..."

"So it's started, huh?" He slowly stepped back.

"Don't make me feel bad for you."

"I already am feeling so." He showed a lot of disappointments. "A safe ride for her would be very much appreciated, bro."

"Give it to me." Riley replied in cold, silent war.

"See you tomorrow, babe." Paul kissed my forehead, got back to his car, groaned the machine as he stared at Riley, then hit the fast speed off from the lot.

"Stop doing that." He helped me stand. "It's getting cold. Let's go."

Riley took care of me very seriously. Helped me buckle my seat belt up, laid the seat lower for my comfort, made sure everything's fine before he drove off. I just sighed inside. Remind me who he is again. That guy whose own a wall in my room, the reason I kept awakened at every 1:30 AM to the same dream, which happened in the most surreal way today. He ended up driving me home for no reason. Questioned myself, which part of my life that wasn't crazy enough right now.

"Which way?" He asked.

"Left, then right. Thanks."

"Don't thank me."

"Why are you doing this?" I finally let that out. "Why didn't just leave and do your thing back?"

"Which is?"

"Anything you name it. You don't belong here. You don't have to, obviously."

"I want to make sure you're okay. The guys are okay with it."

I sighed. Tough conversation.

"You and Paul...?"

"No. Not at all. But I guess you don't want or need to know either."

"I would love to assure that myself." He smiled softly. "Glad you guys don't, though."

Bam.

"This is my house." I unbuckled myself.

"Stay there." He immediately ran around the car to open the door for me. "Careful."

"I'm okay Riley, stop making me look sick."

"I'm sorry." He stepped back.

Gosh. I felt bad again. So quickly. "No sorry I didn't mean that. Really grateful for everything you did to Shireen and me today."

"Can we... be friends?"

My heart stopped. This has just gone a hundred times better - or worse - than I've ever thought. "Sure we can."

"Then I will right back to you when I'm in Philly again."

Riley stepped closer, holding my hands, intertwined our fingers, locked my eyes, studied every inch of my face. I've stopped staring at him since a while ago. I closed my eyes and bowed down. I wish this was me telling you another dream, likely a twist, where I would wake up in the morning with new stuff to remember.

But no, he just leaned a soft kiss on my cheek.