Storms and new places

Everyone was grumbling about Bella when Mrs. Bluebird, Bella's sister-in-law stood up for her. "Stop your grumbling. She still has a nest to build and you know how long that can take, and she's competing! So give her a break." she declared. 

Lots of birds muttered, "I guess you're right," and went home but Miss Waxwing, Mrs. Bluejay, and Miss Chickadee stayed behind to talk about their friend. 

Suddenly the sky began to darken and the wind picked up, shaking the trees. "Boom, kac-kaka, boom- BOOM!" thunder clapped, shaking the ground, and lightning streaked across the sky. 

"Dear me!" Mis Waxwing exclaimed and as the rain began to pour down Chickadee fluffed up her feathers and cried, "Poor Miss Bluebird is flying in this!" "Yes," said Miss Waxwing. "We also need to find cover." And they quickly flew across the open country into a hemlock tree. "This is going to be a long wet night!" Mrs. Bluejay said, and they went to sleep. 

Meanwhile, fighting against the wind Bella tried to find a place to land. She had just about settled in a spot when a flash of blue and blinding light crashed against her tree, but the light missed her by inches because the blue knocked her out of the way.

Catching herself with her wings she watched stunned with fear as the spot she sat seconds ago burned until she knew no more. 

_________________________________________________________________________

In the morning they were awakened by Mister Robin's song, "Cheer, cheer-up! And wake up!"  "Okay we're up," said Miss Waxwing. "Well I'm hungry," said Robin. "So do you ladies want to join me for worms?" "No thank you!" they all replied and then Mister Robin flew down into the unfamiliar yard. They had unknowingly spent the night in Mister Bluebird's homeyard.

"Hmm, I don't recognize these trees," said Mrs. Bluejay. "Nor do I," worried little Chickadee. "Dear me, we must be lost!" cried Miss Waxwing. 

"Why don't you know where you are?" a voice said.