Chapter Ten: Smokescreen

Spring 2011, 3 April, 0304

Dan was not, by nature, a night owl. Hence his trouble keeping his eyes awake as he cycled to the different houses. His headlights were on and he felt the wind whip his hair back in the two hours it took to complete his rounds. He reminded himself that this job would only last for these few weeks, as his friend's father, the postman, recovered from his sprained ankle. His eyes drooped shut, but the thought of deep red hair and dark blue eyes made him keep his eyes peeled.

Rosemary and Dan Tanner had both grown up in this town. They were friends when they were kids, since even before Violet was born. They'd buried each other in the sand, drawn ugly crayon portraits of each other during art class, and played together almost every day since they were born. Then Dan had moved overseas with his mum, who was getting married to a foreigner. He'd moved around places most of his childhood. But when they eventually settled back in Maelstrom when he was fifteen, like the ticking of a grandfather clock, he and seventeen-year-old Rosemary fell back into their paces. When he first saw her at the school's Clubs Day, he immediately recognised her misty blue eyes and sun-kissed smile the moment they'd met gazes. It had only been for a moment, but Dan felt like his heart had skipped a beat and he was toppling over himself to catch his breath.

He'd wondered why she had chosen such a late shift. Wasn't she in uni? Having to balance classes in the day surely meant she was tired as hell 24/7. Dan felt like he would stop functioning if he didn't get a minimum of three hours of sleep per night. He was a staunch early bird and woke up at five every morning to study, which wasn't a good thing these few days, what with his waking up at ungodly hours to cover for his friend's dad.

He nearly tumbled off his bicycle as he whizzed past Rosemary.

Skidding to a halt, he turned around and saw Rosemary waving. His heart lit up like a city of stars.

"Hey, Dan." She jogged over, a curious smile curving her lips skyward. Her bag was slung over her shoulder. "Whatcha doing?"

"Sending the post. You?" he asked, though he already knew her answer.

She made a funny face. "Why're you sending the post? You're not normally awake at this hour."

"No one is except us," he yawned, but explained the postman situation with a shrug. Her face lit up.

"Hey, if it's on the way, you can drop by Waffles and Co if it's on the way. You see, I accidentally made an extra espresso just now."

"Ah, perfect. Exactly what I need. It's too early for all this." He shielded another yawn with his hand.

"Precisely. Say you're collecting it for me, and that you're a friend of mine."

If only we were more than friends, thought Dan wistfully as he watched her receding silhouette. He cycled past Waffles and Co without stopping. 

Spring 2011, 2 April, 1758

Violet stood around the polished wooden counter of Waffles and Co. Despite the afternoon hour, it was largely deserted, except an elderly couple sitting in the corner with their little tan dog. She'd been meaning to come here since a fortnight ago, but had somehow forgotten. Violet paced nervously, biting her thumbnail, until the manager walked out of the backroom, tying a black apron round her waist, which swelled in a large convex arch. "Hello! Good afternoon, ma'am." She went up to the manager and greeted her, matching her pace as the short lady walked over to take the orders of the elderly couple. "I'm here to ask about... about a worker of yours? Do you know anyone by the name Rosemary?"

"No. We have a Roseanne, though," replied the short woman briskly, drawing out a notepad and pen from her pocket. She made eye contact with Violet, motioning expectantly to the elderly couple who sat there waiting. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."