Chapter Sixty Four: Hearts Still Beating

┏━━━━━━ Maya's Pov ━━━━━━┓

" Oh, Spencer, you may just be my new best friend."

My blood boiled at the Monroe son. While everyone else despised the maniac that carried the barbed wire, Spencer was over here bringing alcohol for Negan and flowers for Jane. Kiss-ass wasn't even a name I could find for it. He was a jackass, asshole, motherfucker, idiotic moron. Carl and I stood on the porch watching the saviors set up the pool table while Negan, Jane, and Spencer laughed together as if they have been friends for years.

A large crowd was soon drawn around the streets to watch, Saviors interested in Negan pool while I could tell, The Alexandrian's glare at Spencer for attempting to make friends with these people. Finnick and Lucas were quick to cross the street and up the porch confused and concerned.

" What the hell happened?" Finnick asked lightly placing his finger under my chin to get a good look at my busted lip.

" This is my fault." I answered looking down." I went to the Sanctuary. I wanted to kill them."

" How come you didn't take us?" Finnick asked and I could tell he was offended.

" She didn't even take me. I chased after her." Carl defended hanging his head low so his hair could cover his face.

Lucas nodded," She did that to you. Didn't she?"

I nodded my head looking back to the game. The saviors were done setting up the table and backed away allowing Spencer and Negan to grab a pole stick while Jane held onto Lucille. She smirked walking over slowly before pointing the bat towards me.

" Wanna say hi to your friends?" She taunted twisting the back in her hands that was stained red.

My stomach twisted at the memories of Abraham and Glenn. Two people that did not deserve the fate they were given. I could still vividly see it all in my head and it gave me the burning passion to glare at her. It was like a reminder why I did what I did and why I will do what I will do. She guffawed at my reaction walking away and grabbing Lucille on the ground before placing it over her shoulder and whistling.

" Talk to me, Spencer. Talk to me about Rick."

My eyes darted back to the game at the mention of our leaders name. Carl stiffened next to me as well sharing a glance at me before looking back alert that Spencer would say something.

" I get what you're trying to do here, what you're trying to build. I'm not saying I agree with your methods, but I get it. You're building a network. You're making people contribute for the greater good. It makes sense." He breathed." But you should know that Rick Grimes has a history of not working well with others."

I couldn't deny that fact, but I could say it happened with good reason. The people we come across, they just didn't know how to survive. Their ideas were out of place and we set them straight every time. The Alexandrians....they wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for ha taking over and teaching them. Spencer being one of them.

Negan tucked his lip under his mouth," Is that so?"

" Rick wasn't the original leader here. My mom was." Spencer remorsed." She was doing a really good job of it. Then she died, not long after Rick showed up...same with my brother, same with my dad."

" So, everything was peachy here for...what...years?" Negan questioned." And then Rick shows up, and suddenly, you're an orphan? That is the saddest story I've ever heard. Good thing for you ‭he's not in charge anymore."

" Doesn't matter." Spencer snapped." His ego's out of control. He'll find a way to screw things up, to try and do things his way, to take over. That's what he did with my mom. That's what he'll do again."