Chapter Sixty: Service

* Second slid is the song they dance to*

Maya's pov

" Well, the swelling went down.

I pressed lightly onto Finnick's gunshot wound, seeing it was relatively better than when I first checked on it. The Red Rover part of Negan's scheme had caused him to get it, but he never told a single soul wanting to get Maggie to the hilltop. At my touch, Finnick winced, digging his nails into the hospital chair. I glanced at his face and rolled my eyes.

" Hurts like a bitch, huh? Should have told me when it happened."

" We were busy." He muttered under his breath.

I tensed at the memories wishing I could forget. All I wanted to do was forget about everything that had happened. I wanted to somehow reverse my life and change how everything went. Pushing my feelings to the side, I applied an ointment to Finnick's wound lightly patting.

" It's closed, so now all you need is the skin to heal. Definitely would leave a scar."

" Don't we just love scars?" He coldly answered, lowering his shirt and looking at me." How are you holding up?"

" Doesn't matter," I said, cleaning my hand with a rag and turning away from him.

" You know it always matters to me." He softly spoke, but I wasn't going to tell him.

The demons in my head had to remain my own, and if I did tell anyone, they would call me crazy. Maybe I was crazy. Maybe I was crazy for wanting the world to end because of what I seen. I was a strong person, but this world was breaking me down. Glenn was my friend. No...he was more than a friend.

He was like a brother that always kept his eyes on me, and when I needed someone, he was there. Glenn made me laugh when I was upset and allowed me to rant to him if I needed to. Glenn didn't deserve death. Glenn deserved happiness, but the world wouldn't let him. Neither did it for Abraham. I missed the marine and his mouth.

I miss him swearing out loud and then apologizing when he saw me, but once seeing me, he would laugh at himself and swear again, knowing my mouth was no better. He might of broken Rosita's heart, but he was finding his ways with Sasha. The doors opened, and I snapped from my thoughts, seeing Lucas and Carl walk in.

" Hey, princess." Carl greeted, giving me a soft smile, and kissing me on my cheek.

His touch was everything I needed now. After....after what happened, we all seemed to cling onto our loved ones. As selfish as it might have sounded, I always thought about if I lost Carl the way Maggie lost Glenn. I was known to never depend on everyone, but I knew I would lose myself if I lost Carl. He was my anchor, and besides being my boyfriend, he was my best friend. The boy I met on the highway and stuck by through every danger that entered my life.

" You okay?" He whispered in my ear, and I nodded my head.

" Yeah." I lied.

" How's Finnick, Doc?" Lucas asked, and I turned, trying to have a smile on my face.

" Wound is healing perfectly. I'll say two more weeks."

" That's great!" Lucas laughed, giving Finnick a smile, but not even the boy could fake one.

I think none of us could. We are way too young to be this hurt. We were supposed to be applying to colleges, having prom meltdowns, or freaking over a pregnancy scare, but that was the old life of a teenager. Now we had to kill people and watch our friends die and remember every detail of every traumatic thing.