Chapter Forty Seven: JSS

Maya's pov

I sat on Mandy's front porch swinging back and forth on the chair watching the neighborhood go through their day. Today everyone was anxious having their loved ones out there despite it just being a dry run today. I would worry along with them, but I knew better. When Rick said it will be a dry run, then it surely would just be a dry run. Judith's giggles filled the air and I turned seeing Carl passing by the house strolling Judith along.

" Michonne told me she started walking." I called out surprised by myself that I had gotten his attention.

He turned stunned himself," Are you....are you talking to me ?"

" Of course." I laughed standing up and walking to the front porch stairs more easily now since I had gotten my boot taken off.

He noticed pointing to my foot." You feel better now ?"

" Little bruising, but that never stopped me before." I said seeing the shy smile on his face.

" You wanna go for a walk ?" He asked.

Deep down, my brain was telling me to not. To lie to him about some chores and ignore him once again, but my heart leaped at the idea of spending time with him.

" Don't have to ask me twice." I said walking down the porch stairs and walking by his side. I heard tiny claps and across the street I glanced seeing Finnick, Lucas, and Daisy clap at my new fond bravery.

" I heard you hopped the wall." Carl said eyeing me from the corner." You went after Ron."

" He would of died out there alone. I figured Jessie needs her son after losing a husband." I explained noticing he nodded, but it was a slightly nervous nod.

My eyes traveled to his eyes missing how blue his eyes were up close. They were always beautiful to me and now I was mad at myself for staying away for so long.

" Are you nervous about Daryl being out there ?" He asked looking up to meet my eyes this time.

I shook my head." Are you nervous about your Dad ?"

" A little." He admitted." Our group is mostly with him, but so are more Alexandrians. They hate him now."

" You're Dad can protect himself."

" Carl ?" A voice had called out and we both turned meeting Gabriel.

" What ?" I hissed hating the man and what he had said about our group. I felt Carl squeeze my arm and he moved more forward to speak to Gabriel.

" You heard what I told Deanna about your group ?"

" Carter pointed a gun at my face believing it." I spat noticing Carl tense next to me. I guess it was the one thing Rick didn't tell him.

" It was about me, not you, or your group. I know that now. I want to help." He declared." You tried to teach me back at the church, but I'm ready to learn now."

Carl nodded." I think you need to tell everybody." He advised.

Gabriel nodded his head too falling a bit in silence for a while before looking back to us," Yeah, I think you're right."