The Workers. 1.

Her small fingers worked through the stack of files fairly quickly. She laughed quietly to herself. Oh how she hated her job. As if on cue, her metallic nameplate badge fell off and landed with an inconveniently loud clatter. Somewhere around 40 eyes turned to her as she scrambled to pick it back up. Everyone else in the room went back to their work. They had better things to do.

She held the nameplate for a little while, rubbing it and staring at the writing on it.

"C. Polaria."

She tiredly shook her head to herself and reattached the badge to her coat. She went back to her files, humming a tuneless song. The only thing about her job that she actually liked was the two kids she worked with a lot.

#090115-9825 and #040f04-9825.

~ • ~ • ~

Cold steel pressed against her throat. She tried to scream, but the steel only rotated and sank into her neck, cutting her off.

It didn't go far enough to be life-threatening.

That would be too easy.

The next thing she knew she was being dropped on the floor. The "C. Polaria" nameplate fell and spun away across the floor.

It was coated in red.

Searing pain shot through her arm as cold, cold steel went into the skin of her shoulder.

Back and forth, back and forth it went.

The tormentor seemed to get bored. They went to just plain stabbing. In and out. In and out.

The stabs synced with her breathing in some twisted irony.

Ripping and tearing, it was all over before she could feel much more pain.

All that was left was parts scattered around; arms, legs, torn, bloody organs littered around the cold, cold tile flooring.

The head lay cracked open and covered in thick, red blood, the brain taken cleanly out.

That brain was never found.