Chapter 21

Vaishnavi’s pov:

The sound of arrow striking wood brings back the attention of everyone present in the arena.
As expected of course, the arrow must have landed on Arjun’s name.
“The next competitor to fight Prince Duryodhan is Prince Arjun of the Pandavas.” Ashwatthama announces.

He notches another arrow and this time aims for the entrance of the arena. Shakuni laughs cruelly and Meghna sharply sucks in a breath. My heart begins to beat faster, I don’t want to see Arjun hurt.
Then the most unexpected thing happens. Guru Drona takes the bow and arrow from Ashwatthama and pulls the arrow back, aiming for the decorative part of the entrance.
“I know the capabilities of all my students, especially Arjun. So let me.” He says.

Meghna looks shocked.

He’s not going to do that right- He’s his Guru!

Meghna I think he knows Arjun won’t be harmed.

We can’t say that for sure!

I cross my arms and stare at the ground. I don’t want to watch. I can’t.

Meghna gasps and clutches my arm. I can hear the crowd beginning to roar again as Arjun walks in. I close my eyes shut just as I hear the unmistakable sound of stone cracking, before a loud rumble as it all falls down.

I feel Meghna’s grip tightening and Kunti Bua screaming as everyone around us begins to shout in fear.
Please god, just let him be alright.

“Oh my deva- Vaishu!! Look!!!” Meghna says, shaking me. I look up hesitating. My jaw drops.
The pile of rubble shakes and an arrow shoots out of it, zooming past us, catching Kunti’s Bua’s tear just before it hits the ground and returning to the hand of the one who shot it.
Meghna lets out a cry of joy and my heart thuds faster.

Because there is Arjun standing unblemished and not a bruise on him. He brings the arrowhead to his forehead and smears Kunti Bua’s tear on his hair.
He is such a show off. Meghna’s voice rings in my head.
I can’t say anything except let out a mixture of a laugh and a sob.
Duryodhan is silent with disbelief, while Guru Drona looks proud. “I told you,” He announces, “Arjun was able to survive the rubble falling on him by building a canopy of arrows.”

Meghna chuckles, “Yeah he has magic arrows now- what are they called….Brahmastras!!”
I just nod, because I think my voice and soul have left my body on seeing Arjun okay.
Shakuni is angrily knocking back glasses of what I assume is wine; as Arjun doesn’t even hesitate. He launches two arrows at Duryodhan, who narrowly escapes them.

Before any of us can even blink, Arjun pulls back just the string of his bow and mutters something under his breath. Like magic, a shining blue arrow appears between his fingers and he shoots it.
The arrow hits Duryodhan, transforming into a blanket of ice encapsulating him and knocking him down.

Another arrow knocks the mace out of his hands. Just in time as the sun begins to set, the sky turns a lovely golden colour.
Meghna is cheering as her brothers look happy and proud.
Guru Drona himself gives Arjun a smile and nods, “The winner of the fifth round is Prince Arjun!”

The crowd goes crazy, screaming and cheering Arjun’s name. Kunti Bua looks relieved and even Pitamaha and Vidur look satisfied. Only Maharaj Dhritarashtra, Shakuni, Gandhari and Duryodhan wear a scowl.
Arjun turns towards us and waves.

For a second our eyes meet, and time begins to slow down. Nothing else matters, the sounds of the crowd cheering, Meghna yelling along with her brothers. I can only see Arjun. He gives me a smile, and mouths “Thank you.”

I just give him a nod back. Arjun turns back to Guru Drona who chuckles.
“This man,” He pats Arjun on the shoulder, “Is the best archer in the entire world. There is no one who can compete against him. Arjun, can you release Duryodhan from his hold?”
Arjun nods and pulls back the string of his bow. However before he can launch an arrow, another one shoots past him and onto Duryodhan. Fire melts away the ice and disappears as quickly as it appeared.