Chapter 2: Damon and Maggie

Ben and Mick rushed down the stairs with Prof Oak bringing up the rear. They quickly determined that the blast didn't come from the first floor as everything looked in order and there was no visible damage anywhere. As they came upon the ground floor, however, they were met with smoke filling the hallway, that seemed to spread from the end of the corridor. Ben could suddenly hear a machine being turned on.

"What's that noise? It sounds like a vacuum or something." Mick guessed.

"It's coming from over there" pointed Ben as he noticed the initial smoke was subsiding somewhat somehow.

"Let's check it out." said Ben as they ran down the corridor, ahead of Prof Oak.

Ben kept his cool, but was wondering what on Earth was going on

It soon became clear that the smoke was issuing from the Pokémon Storage room and the noise of the 'vacuum' was sounding louder, in fact as they neared the room the sound began to sound deafening and somehow the haze was clearing fast.

I have a bad feeling about this... thought Ben beginning to grow somewhat concerned.

He and Mick entered the room first and immediately felt a particular powerful wind blowing through the room which made Ben's eyes water, as he held up an arm to shield himself partially but it was little use, it was as if a massive air current was filling the room and as Ben lifted his gaze he could make out that one side of the wall was smashed and through the large hole a gigantic hose was sticking out through it. Ben could only watch as the room had already been sucked clear of nearly every Poké Ball within the room and the last few were been rounded up.

"Thieves!" Ben yelled inaudibly, the vacuum drowning out his words.

He couldn't believe it.

Thieves here in Pallet Town? How was this possible? Ben wondered.

Pallet Town had always been a peaceful town with hardly any criminal activity to speak. Yet here they were, trying to make off with the precious Pokémon caught by all the trainers who started out their journey in this town.

But then again he thought. I shouldn't be surprised, this lab is kind of a large target for burglars.

Though he was faced with danger Ben remained surprisingly calm. He had never been in a situation like this before, yet he wasn't worried.

Well... He wasn't worried for himself, but he was worried about the Pokémon being stolen. He gazed sideways at Mick who was also shielding his face from the blasting wind, but Ben could determine he seemed to have a rather angry expression on his face from the way he frowned his eyebrows.

Suddenly the machine sounded like it had been turned off as the deafening rumble from the vacuum began to diminish along with the air stream being lifted. The hose was retracted as it retreated out of the hole and went up outside.

Without giving it a second thought, both Ben and Mick sprinted through the hole and looked upwards into the sky to see a big, black, hot air balloon with a red letter 'R' plastered over the center. From below the basket they saw the massive vacuum along with a glass container where the Poké Balls were kept.

"It's them!" Mick yelled furiously. "It's Team Rocket!"

"That's them?!" Ben asked in surprise "Team Rocket?!" Ben once again felt anger rising from within him at the mention of their organisation, but tried to suppress it.