Chapter 3: A Journey's Beginning

I know some anime fans will be disappointed by this but I decided not to include the angry flock of Spearow that chased Ash and Pikachu in the first episode in this chapter. Primarily it's because Ben and Mick can't rely on an overpowered Pikachu to save their hides. But rest assured some events in the anime will happen in the story as it progresses.

Ben, Mick, and Eevee strolled through the peaceful, wide grassy fields of Route 1, as the noon sun was shining down upon them. They were discussing the frightening situation they had just found themselves in.

"I still can't believe Levi just let them go." said Mick absentmindedly

"He had other priorities, he wanted to keep us safe." Ben replied

"Still. Now those two grunts can keep on stealing from other people, it's not right."

"Well with any luck after we tell the police everything maybe they can track them down somehow."

"Yeah I hope so..." Mick said as he sighed.

"I don't even know what I'm going to tell my mom, when I call her, once we get in Viridian."

There was a moment of silence between them before Mick nudged Ben.

"So hey, I know we gotta hurry to Viridian City and all, but should we try catching our first Pokémon?"

Ben considered Mick's question for a moment, looking around him as if trying to spot any wild Pokémon nearby, but the fields around them seemed pretty empty apart from a few insects zooming around. (actual insects, not Pokémon)

"I guess we can try if we spot any, but let's stick to the path, we need to reach Viridian City by dusk." Ben said.

"What Pokémon can you find around here anyways?" Mick said, his eyes gleaming as he fervently tried to spot any Pokémon.

"Probably some common Pokémon like Pidgey and Rattata, some Nidoran maybe." Ben stated, then he remembered he'd just gotten his Pokédex and it could perhaps tell them more of the Pokémon in the vicinity.

"Actually maybe Dexter can tell us." he said as he grabbed his Pokédex from his pocket and opened it up.

"Hmm... says here it's mostly Pidgey and Rattata, like I thought. Spearow too apparently. We should avoid those, they tend to be aggressive."

"But I like aggressive Pokémon, they have the spirit to fight, I like that!" replied Mick.

Ben facepalmed at this and he dropped his hand before saying.

"Please don't go after a Spearow. You don't want to bring a whole flock upon us do you?"

"Well I guess not, but it might still be worthwhile to catch one." Mick determined

"Then come back here after we delivered the police report, not today. We should settle for Pidgey and Rattata for now." Ben said.

"Alright..." Mick said a tad disappointed.

They continued in silence for a few minutes, while Ben checked up on Eevee every so often. It was walking behind them, keeping up with them but it seemed frightened as it looked around everywhere as if expecting danger to pop up at any second. Eventually Ben turned around and lowered his hand on the ground as he crouched down, beaming at the Normal type.

"Come, crawl onto my shoulder Eevee." Ben spoke calmly to his Pokémon.

Eevee blinked for a moment, considering Ben's request then practically jumped onto his shoulder as he settled onto it, letting out a content sigh.