Chapter 4: Eevee Gets The Jitters

Ben looked dumbfounded at the screen where Levi was chuckling, presumably at his reaction.

"Beat me? For real?" Mick asked in a somewhat surprised tone.

"Yes, I want to see if he got what it takes to be a good example to my brother who'd be traveling with him." Levi smiled. "Not that I doubt him, but I just want confirmation." Levi looked straight at him. Making Ben feel conscious about himself, he didn't quite know what to say.

"You gotta be kidding bro!" Mick replied. "You know he picked Bulbasaur and I picked Charmander, so there's no way he'd beat me and I just don't want to throw the match, that'd be unsportsmanlike."

"I know and I know you'll give it your all despite the circumstances. But I feel like Ben can teach you a thing or two and he's the only person you listen to at times. I know deep down you respect his intelligence."

Ben had to sigh at this because Levi was wrong, he was actually struggling to convince Mick in a few matters, like reading the books he lend him before the journey and letting him take courses in Viridian Pokémon Academy. But he knew he couldn't say no to challenges. It was ironic that the battle they we're having tomorrow now not only decided whether they'd take courses in the academy but also whether or not he'd get sponsoring for his journey. This battle had become quite important. It was a fight for the future. He was brought out of his thoughts when Mick called out to him. Apparently, the phone call had ended.

"Ben? Ben? You alright?" Mick asked, waving his hand before his face.

"Uh, yeah sorry, got lost in thoughts" he said absentmindedly

"You got all that right?" Mick asked expectantly.

"Uhm, not really..." Ben said with an apologetic face

Mick sighed.

"Levi expects us to be at the South Viridian Arena tomorrow at 5 PM sharp. It's a one-on-one Pokémon battle."

"I see..." he swallowed, lowering his head

Well, I guess there's no way out now.

"Listen Ben" Mick said as Ben looked up again. "I know you don't like it, but this is happening. I expect your A-game tomorrow."

Ben looked at his best friend for a while before he nodded reluctantly.

"I'll do my best." Ben said.

"Alright well, let's go check out our room then." Mick said.

They went to pick up their Pokémon from Nurse Joy first before heading to their room, which had a bunk bed and a desk with a computer, something which Ben smiled at. Back in Pallet Town, they didn't have internet since it was so remote. Now he could do some real research. Maybe even to find out what happened to his father... But not today though, after everything that happened today, he felt pretty exhausted.

Mick picked the top bunk, so Ben had to settle for the bottom one, he changed into his pajamas and lay down on the bed, with Eevee snuggling next to him, he looked up at Mick's mattress, drifting into thoughts again, he tried to focus on visualising the battle between him and Mick tomorrow, a couple of scenarios playing in his mind. He knew he could win, but did he want to win? Ben didn't have long to ponder however as he fell into an uneasy sleep.

-