Chapter 5: Catching Time!

When Ben and Eevee arrived back at the scene of the incident Officer Jenny, whom he recognised by her blue hair and having a long family of officers who looked almost exactly like her, was already at the scene, busy in conversation with somebody who Ben guessed must be the driver. He didn't get a good look at him so he wasn't sure. He took a look at the car and it didn't look good, the bumper was hanging from one side, one of the headlights was broken and the hood of the car was dented. There was also the fact that the lamppost had been damaged as well. He hesitantly walked up to them and waited for somebody to notice him. Soon enough the driver looked to the side and immediately pointed at him while fuming, shouting:

"That's the bastard! It was his Pokémon that caused me to crash!"

Eevee started trembling again when the driver turned to them, Officer Jenny looked in Ben's direction and turned to him.

"Are you responsible for crashing this man's car?" Officer Jenny asked calmly.

"Uhm, yes Officer" he said, looking down unable to face them "My Eevee ran away and crossed the street in a panic without looking..."

"Please look up, sir" Officer Jenny said, which Ben did reluctantly but he couldn't look anybody in the eyes.

"You should keep your Pokémon in your Poké Ball if it's just gonna run away!" The driver hissed.

"S-Sorry sir, I haven't had Eevee for long..." Ben began, struggling to find the words while trying to look at the driver's face, while Eevee yelped and Ben felt his grip on his shoulder tightening as he felt Eevee shivering more intensely.

Officer Jenny put a hand up on the driver's shoulder

"Please stay calm sir."

The driver didn't really seem in the mood to take things calmly, he scowled and made a throwaway gesture but remained silent, for now. Officer Jenny turned back to Ben.

"I'll need to see some ID please."

Ben fumbled in his pocket for a moment before pulling out his Pokédex and turning it over to Officer Jenny. She checked it and then took down some notes she then handed him back his Pokédex.

"Since you admitted to the accident you would normally be charged with compensating the damages to the victim of the accident, however since you're still underage the costs will be redirected to your parents instead. This will formally be decided by the court. You'll receive a notice to attend the trial sometime tomorrow" Officer Jenny explained.

Ben's stomach dropped when he heard this.

My mom is going to kill me... Ben thought.

"You are free to go, please keep an eye on that Eevee."

Ben thanked her and left the scene with Eevee, but as he walked back to the Pokémon Center anxiety was taking him over.

How am I going to explain this to my mom? Will she understand? Ben asked himself, dreading the answers.

He decided he'd have to call his mom tonight to let her know before she heard anything from the police. He would somehow have to try paying her back, maybe set aside something every month so he could pay her back bit by bit. He'd probably have to try winning as many trainer battles as possible now anyways in order to gather money. The sponsoring definitely helped and he was grateful to Levi now more than ever. Without it he might be doomed. But still, he was in a really bad position.

The walk to the Pokémon Center seemed to take ages and the longer he walked the worse he felt. Finally, he made it back and he handed his Pidgey to Nurse Joy to let it heal from the battle and also his Eevee for a checkup, then he went over to the videophone to call his mom. He took off the horn and typed in the number, then he wondered what he was going to tell her, it took him maybe ten minutes before he could even gather the nerve to press the call button, and when he did he gulped, waiting several long seconds before his mom's face appeared on the screen.