The last Dragonlord 3

A.N.:// This chapter is a little bit softer than the last ;)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Arthur's words hung heavy in the air. Sarrum stared at Arthur as if trying to figure out what went wrong in his head. "You can't be serious."

"I am very serious." And how could Arthur not be? The answer had been right there, hidden in Sarrum's books, books that Uther would have burned on sight.

"He may be a King, but only in title. He doesn't have a kingdom! There is no land to his name! He has no money, no castle, nothing! What makes you think he's worth reasoning with?"

Arthur raised his sword a little higher. "I think you misunderstand what a kingdom is. A kingdom is not simply defined by land or borders, it is determined by its people. All these years we have been judging over people that aren't our own. Why I need to reason with the King of the Druids? Because if we kill him, there will be an army of magic users attacking our kingdoms and apparently -" Arthur pointed at Aithusa, "he has dragons."

Sarrum scowled at him before he snapped: "If his people live in my kingdom, they are my people by definition!"

"No, they aren't! And you're proving that yourself! If being a magic user gets you killed, then you're banning them from your kingdom, SHOWING that they don't belong. Camelot has done the same thing. Where do you suggest they go? How could they all live in one giant kingdom if just anyone can pick up the art? My sister turned to magic and that alone made her our enemy. If they appear anywhere in the world at random, then of course they don't have borders to claim their own."
Sarrum opened his mouth, then closed it. That alone proved to Arthur that he had won the argument. But he wasn't quite done yet. "If Emrys is the King of the Druids, the last Dragonlord and magic himself, then we need to let him judge upon his own people. What does it say about us that we simply ignored him and slaughtered his people while he didn't even kill you to save his own daughter!"

Sarrum let down his sword, clearly thinking hard. "Well, I would say, if we have to reason with him, then let us hear what his demands are? And what he can provide in exchange?"

Arthur nodded, then turned to Merlin, bracing himself for what may come next. "You heard him, Emrys. The peace negotiations are open. What are your demands?" Emrys. How strange the name tasted on his tongue.

Merlin stared at them both, then slowly rose to his feet. Uncertain, he faced them, emotion guiding his voice as he spoke. "I wish for my daughter to be free."

"Are you kidding me-"

"Let him speak, Sarrum!" Arthur glared at him.

Merlin nodded gratefully. "I wish for you to judge magic users on their actions and not kill them for having magic. It is nothing they choose, magic chooses THEM. And lastly -" Merlin took a deep breath. "I want to know where that dragon gate is."

Sarrum's eyes nearly boggled out of their sockets. "NO. NEVER." He shook his head vehemently. "That dragon alone is enough to destroy a kingdom. I won't give you an ARMY. And magic users have threatened my kingdom and Camelot too- for years! I can't do any of that! What do we get in return? He is a servant, what could HE even provide?!" The last part was directed at Arthur and Arthur knew the man was more than annoyed at this point.

No wonder. He had been open enough to invite Arthur and his men and what did Arthur do? Invite a sorcerer who freed the dragon Sarrum kept in the dungeon for safekeeping, let him destroy a big part of the castle and now Arthur demanded Sarrum to respect that same man with not only respect, but the respect worthy of a King. Arthur was demanding a lot. No matter how sure Arthur was that he was doing the right thing, it was too much to spring on a man so suddenly.
Still. "What do we get in return, Emrys?"