Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Viwe disappears into to the kitchen while my father scoops mom into his arms, leading her to the couch where he gently lays her body. Viwe comes back carrying a glass of water that she hands to my dad. He sinks his fingers inside the glass and sprinkles water over my mom's face. At first she's unresponsive, but after a few minutes she starts moving.

"Mkam," my father says, placing the glass on top of the coffee table.

She looks disoriented as she tries to sit up.

"Take it easy, sthandwa sam," my dad says, rushing to her aid, placing a pillow behind her back for support.

"What happened?" She asks, roaming her eyes across the room groaning softly.

Her eyes water as soon as they land on me. She shifts her gaze back to my dad.

"Please take me to our room," she says in a frail voice.

My heart breaks. I know I've disappointed her and that she needs time to wrap her head around what's going on, but can she not stand me so much that she wants to get away from me?

"Viwe, please bring our bags," my dad says, helping my mom up from the couch.

Viwe, as though innocent, nods her head before dashing out of the lounge while mam'Sophie and I remain rooted in our positions. I want to say something, like apologise but I feel like they won't hear me. Without saying a word, they walk past me like I don't exist. A sob escapes my mouth as soon as their frames disappear down the passage. Mam'Sophie pulls me to her and consoles me.

"It's going to be okay, mntan'am. Just give them time," she says the same words Dali had uttered earlier.

I shake my head 'no' against her chest because I don't see how.

"Just give them time, mntan'am," she repeats while soothing my back.

The twins are squashed in between us and I feel bad for subjecting them to this.

Viwe comes back with our parents bags hanging over her shoulder. The sight of her infuriates me because she had no right to tell our parents MY news. I free myself from mam'Sophie's arms and give her a once over before marching back to my room. I bang the door behind and gently lay my daughter inside her crib before bursting into tears as I curl myself into a ball on top of the bed.

My heart feels like it's about to burst, that's how much it hurts. I tug at it in an attempt to ease the throbbing pain. The door creaks open but I'm too emotional to find out who just stepped in.

"Khanya," mam'Sophie says in a soft yet gentle voice.

My heart breaks even further at the wishful thought that it could have been my father or mother.

"Nana, you can't cry like this. You're upsetting your children," she says, and right on cue, Yana starts whimpering.

"It hurts," I manage to say just as Otha also starts whimpering, following his sister.

"I know, sisi, but all will be well. Just focus on your babies and give your parents time."

She keeps saying this but no matter how many times she says it, I don't believe her.

My phone rings from somewhere in the room, but I don't have the strength to answer it.

"Aren't you going to answer it? It could be uNdyebo." Oh, she also calls him Ndyebo?

I shake my head 'no' while my head is still shoved against the now damp pillow. My phone rings until it stops, but within a second of it being silent, it rings again. I want to hurl it against the wall because the sound of it is just adding on to my misery. She sighs before I hear her footsteps echo further into the room.