14~ Well he's a twerp

Owen

Seeing Lainey get in my car with tears running down her face broke something in me, seeing the hurt all over her face undid me. In that moment I would have hurt anyone if they were the reason for her crying.

But what keeps replaying in my head is the tingles that shot up my arms when I held her chin in my hand or the way her brown eyes stared into mine.

When my phone buzzes it breaks my train of thought. As I'm stopped at a red light, I glance at the screen to see I have a text from Caleb.

Caleb: Hey girlfriend, join us for practice.

I glance at Lainey to see her staring out the window. I would love to practice with them but I have Lainey with me. They wouldn't know but I don't think she would like to sit and watch us practice.

"What up?" Lainey asks.

"Caleb just texted me, he wants me to come practice with them," I say.

"That's fine, I can read my book," Lainey says with a smile.

My eyes widen in surprise, "You don't mind?"

Lainey rolls her eyes, "No Owen, I don't mind."

Me: right I'll be right there.

~~~~

When we arrive at the football field all the guys are already there. As we get out of the car Lainey takes her bag and throws it over her shoulder. "Don't worry I'll act like I'm not even here," Lainey says dryly.

I grab a football out of the truck of my car, "I wasn't worrying about that."

Lainey snorts, "Your face said something different."

I roll my eyes and shut my trunk, "You sure you don't mind waiting," I ask.

She pats my shoulder, "No, I don't mind." She smiles, "Hey, I can work on my tan."

I shove shoulder and she laughs, "And it's not every day I get to watch a bunch of guys run around in the sun," Lainey adds.

I wiggle my eyebrows, "I knew you always had a thing for me."

For a moment Lainey's face flashes red then she looks down, "Oh, I won't be watching you I'll be watching Waylon."

I roll my eyes as we approach the guys. Waylon is one of the guys on the football team and one of my few friends. I study Lainey's face; I can't tell if she's kidding or not.

I realize I know nothing about Lainey. I don't know what kind of guys she likes. As long as I've known her she's never dated anyone, at least that I know of.

"Is he your type," I ask as I internally cringe. What kind of question is that?

Lainey seems to think the same thing as she looks at me. "What?"

I shake my head, "Never mind."

She chuckles and climbs up the bleachers to find a spot.

"Hey Owen, what's wrong? You look like you just ate a lemon," Caleb yells.

I quickly wipe the expression off my face and replace it with a smile, "It's probably the sight of you without a shirt on," I yell back as I jog onto the field.

Caleb laughs, "I highly doubt that."

Waylon rolls his eyes as the rest of the guys grab water.

Even though it's near the end of the school year and football season is over we still practice.