𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈 • 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭

❝ There Is A Good Reason It's Forbidden ❞

       Everything was fine enough until Hagrid revealed that he had a dragon egg! I was a little too late to know because the dragon egg hatched. Harry informed me about it earlier this morning now they were sending the dragon with Ron's brother's friend who was nearby to Romania, I seriously couldn't think how dangerous that was, but then my life wasn't so not-dangerous. So, I agreed to help them.

"Bye-bye, Norbert!" Hagrid sobbed, as Harry, Hermione, and I covered the crate with the invisibility cloak and stepped underneath it. "Mommy will never forget you!" finally we convinced Hagrid to stop sobbing and leave Norbert to us.

How we managed to get the crate back up to the castle, we never knew. Midnight ticked nearer as we heaved Norbert up the marble staircase the entrance hall and along the dark corridors. Up another staircase, then another, even one of my shortcuts didn't make the work much easier.

"Nearly there!" I panted as we reached the corridor beneath the tallest tower. Then a sudden movement ahead made us almost drop the crate. Forgetting that we were already invisible, we shrank into the shadows, staring at the dark outlines of two people grappling with each other ten feet away. A lamp flared.

Professor McGonagall, in a tartan bathrobe and a hairnet, had Malfoy by the ear. "Detention!" she shouted. "And twenty points from Slytherin! Wandering around in the middle of the night, how dare you —"

"You don't understand, Professor. Harry Potter's coming — he's got a dragon!"

"What utter rubbish! How dare you tell such lies! Come on — I shall see Professor Snape about you, Malfoy!"

The steep spiral staircase up to the top of the tower seemed the easiest thing in the world after that. Not until we'd stepped out into the cold night air did we throw off the cloak, glad to be able to breathe properly again.

Hermione did a sort of jig. "Malfoy's got detention! I could sing!"

"Don't," Harry advised her. Chuckling about Malfoy, we waited, Norbert, thrashing about in his crate. About ten minutes later, four broomsticks came swooping down out of the darkness.

Charlie's friends were a cheery lot. They showed me, Harry, and Hermione the harness they'd rigged up, so they could suspend Norbert between them. They all helped buckle Norbert safely into it and then I, Harry, and Hermione shook hands with the others and thanked them very much.

At last, Norbert was going...going...gone.

We slipped back down the spiral staircase, our hearts as light as our hands, now that Norbert was off them. No more dragon, Malfoy in detention, what could spoil my happiness?

The answer to that was waiting at the foot of the stairs. As we stepped into the corridor, Filch's face loomed suddenly out of the darkness.

"Well, well, well," he whispered, "we are in trouble." We'd left the invisibility cloak on top of the tower.⠀

Things couldn't have been worse. Filch took us down to Professor McGonagall's study on the first floor, where we sat and waited without saying a word to each other. Hermione was trembling.

Excuses, alibis, and wild cover-up stories chased each other around. I tried to think of something believable, but my mind stopped working. I'd never got into trouble, I remained the well-mannered and proper child. I had no idea how to escape, maybe the Stroll twins knew about how to get away with trouble or any child of Hermes. He's the God of Thievery after all.