13 - 𝖑𝖔𝖆𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌

CW: suicidal thoughts and slight mention of self harm

"Were you about to convince my girlfriend of my alleged crimes?" Eren asks, a knowing grin playing on the corners of his lips.

Krista clenches her fists, tears threatening to flood out of her eyes. "She needs to know," she murmurs under her breath. "Everyone needs to know," she mutters, her tone sharp.

Eren tilts his eyebrows upwards, a sorrowful expression on his face. "Well, that wouldn't be good for me, would it?"

"That's the point," she retorts.

"I'll give you two options, Krista," he firmly states, body looming over hers as she's reduced to standing inside his towering shadow. His eyes narrow as his lips curve. 

She tilts her head up to lock eyes with him, determined gaze fixated on his.

"Either you don't speak a word about this and live your life normally, or you run your mouth and see what happens."

Her body trembles, yet she continues to put on a composed front. "What will happen?"

Eren grins.

"I'll kill Ymir next."

That conversation constantly replays in Krista's mind as she lays in her bed.

It's repeated so many times that she's memorized it verbatim. Especially those last four words. They haunt her, whisper in her ear with words so tangible that she swears she feels the hot breath fanning her skin.

It makes her skin crawl and beckons her to allow the tempting words to spill from her tongue, relinquishing the sentence she's been craving to speak. She imagines the aftermath and how fulfilling the moment would feel once she's finally surrendered and accepted the repercussions.

But she can't. She just can't.

She loves Ymir too much. She needs her in her life, and without her, Krista would have no clue how to survive in this lonely world. Letting go of Ymir would be like letting go of her entire life's meaning. It's utterly impossible.

She tosses and turns in her bedsheets, trying to find a comfortable position, but the mattress is enveloped in the strangely freezing atmosphere. It feels stiff, and it's poking at her back. No matter how many attempts she makes, she knows the position will never lead her to a peaceful slumber.

The whole training regiment is ordered to convene in the middle of the campus in order for an urgent meeting. It's described as an important discussion of the recent homicides and the new rules they will apply for everyone's safety.