Chapter 3: Confess already

Nobody's P.O.V:

Skulduggery and Valkyrie thanked Cassandra for her help, got into the Bentley and drove.

"That was... Eventful." Valkyrie said.

"As it was." Skulduggery murmured.

"Do you think we can get anything from that? To help us figure out who Vile is?"

Skulduggery hesitated, "I guess we could. We just need to piece what we find together."

Or you could just tell her.

"You're right. Ok then, we might as well go to the sanctuary and tell the Elders what we saw."

"Hmm. Nah. We don't need to. Not until we get more than what we have already."

You can't keep hide yourself forever Skulduggery.

Skulduggery gripped the steering wheel hard. Valkyrie noticed.

"Skulduggery are you ok? You've been acting... Off since we heard about Lord Vile. What's going on?"

She's going to find out. Just tell her... Go on, this is the perfect opportunity.

"Nothing is going on Valkyrie."

"Then what is?"

Tell her. Tell her now.

"Valkyrie please. No more questions."

"But Skulduggery, something is bothering you and it's making you lose your focus."

Tell her.

"What makes you think I've lost my focus?"

Me. Duh. Use your non existent brain.

" I can tell you've been distracted because usually at this point you would have something. Like, you would have a load of information to share and we would be one step closer to solving this and saving the world. But no. We've gotten nowhere because something is wrong. So tell me."

Listen to her Skulduggery. Just tell her. She's right.

Skulduggery's grip on the wheel tightened, "Valkyrie, nothing is wrong."

"Then why are you gripping the wheel so hard? If you had flesh then they would be whiter than paper."

Skulduggery...just tell her already. She will find out anyway and it's also a chance to change the future. She didn't know who you were in the vision after all...

He ignored him, tried anyway, "Valkyrie please, just leave it."

"No. Tell me. I'm your partner. I'm your best friend, you can tell me anything."

"I know but there is nothing wrong."

"Yes there is."

There is. Tell her.

"No there isn't."

There is. Tell her.

"Yes there is."

There is. Tell her.

"Isn't."

Is. Tell her.

"Is."

Is. Tell her.

"Isn't."

Is. Come on Skulduggery, tell her. Tell her who you really are.

"FOR GODS SAKE SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG."

Oh you've done it now.Come on Skulduggery... Do it.

He sagged,"I can't."

Yes you can.

Her voice softened,"Why not?"

Yes why not Skulduggery. Are you scared of what will happen? Are you afraid? Is it fear?

"Yes. It is." Skulduggery thought.

His grip on the wheel loosened,"Fear."

I know it is hard Skulduggery, to tell someone that you are really a psychopath. That you are really a killer. That you embrace death in all its glory.

Skulduggery quickly pulled over, put his elbows on the wheel, and buried his skull into his hands.

"Shut up." He thought.

Valkyrie looked concerned and rested her hand into his shoulder,"Skulduggery? Please. I can't help you get through whatever you're going through if you won't talk to me."

Go on Skulduggery. Talk to her. You can't get out of this now. You're trapped.

"I can get out of it if I want to."

But can you? Can you really escape this moment? Just tell her Skulduggery. It's your only chance to move on from this conversation.

"... I hate you."

I know. Now tell her.

Valkyrie was still waiting patiently for him to respond with her hand on his shoulder and ready to use a kind voice when he did. No matter what he told her.

"Valkyrie..."

"Yeah?"

He raised his head from his hands and he sighed,"Do you really want to know what's behind that door?"

She raised and eyebrow, "I do, but now I don't really want to know. But you can tell me anyway."

Ah. A curious mind. It can get anyone killed.

"I said shut up."

When? And I still think you need anger management classes...

"No I don't..."

Yeah. You do.

"Valkyrie. Behind that door is... A dark past. A past that I left behind and never expected it to come back... Not until the visions."

She looked confused,"What are you yapping on abou- ... Wait."

She's gonna guess.

"I know."

She continued,"If a dark past is behind that door, and you hadn't expected it to come back until the visions happened...then something must be behind the door that is linked to everything ... Oh my god... Skulduggery... You're not ... Lord Vile are you?"

He looked at her and didn't say a word. Neither did she.

BINGO. And that's your life ruined.

"Oh shut up."

No.

"Why not? "

Because. Skulduggery Pleasant will soon be no more. I can feel the real you begin to rise. And it feels amazing.