92.

MYRA

The following day, we set out of the abandoned port at noon. It was a gloomy day and gently snowing. The hints of a storm lingered on the horizon.

The brothers wanted me to postpone this to the next day when the weather was better, but there was no guarantee of that happening. The weather was unpredictable, and I didn't like to rely on its mood swings for my work. I had somehow convinced the brothers to go today after a lot of bickering and arguments last night.

We drove as close as we could to the abandoned port with our small team of reinforcements whom Mateo had flown in from the pack overnight. They had come prepared with weapons and whatnot for any ambush.

By the time we reached the last edge of the snow-blocked road to the abandoned port, the snow had started falling harder. I could sense that the brothers were not pleased with this, but before they could suggest going back and coming back the next day, I hopped out of the SUV and took in my surroundings.

The visibility was annoyingly low today. However, I could see the last bit of the road gradually swallowed by the snow. Ahead of me, there was nothing but snow as far as I could see.

"I'll have to walk Northwest for a mile or two, I guess," I said after looking at the coordinates while Hunter stood beside me, gazing at the long stretch of snow. Meanwhile, Mateo was busy instructing the reinforcement team.

"We," Hunter corrected me, and I clenched my teeth. "The signal here is pretty bad. Communicating with the reinforcement would be a pain in the ass if anything goes wrong,"

"We'll manage somehow," I suggested. Okay, I was overly optimistic here while the brothers were realistically dealing with the issue. I couldn't help it. I was growing restless to find Arika ever since I got the message from her yesterday. I put up another encrypted announcement last night to let her know I'd be here today to see her. She never responded to that. I didn't have a good feeling about it.

If I were being honest with myself, I didn't have a good feeling about this whole thing. I woke up feeling uneasy today. I couldn't tell if it was because I slept at an odd angle last night while sandwiched between the brothers or if there was something off about today. I wanted to tap into my wolf's intuition, but she was unnaturally quiet today. That made me feel even more uneasy.

The thought sent a shiver down my spine. I wasn't cold because of the weather. We were all wearing proper snow hiking gear, but it was the nervousness that was slowly starting to set in. I was finally going to see Arika after such a long time. I didn't have a good feeling about meeting her. I just wanted to have my servers back before she could misuse them.

"We need to start soon. The snow's falling harder," I pointed out, and Hunter grunted. Mateo joined us soon so we could start our hike.

"You'll stay close to us, Myra," Mateo warned me before we started with our hike. I wanted to roll my eyes, but he continued, "And if you're planning to do anything that's not included in the plan, then you'll inform us first,"

"Yes," Hunter joined. "You'll not put yourself at unnecessary risk. When the situation goes out of control, you'll call for us,"

"Alright," I grumbled, slightly annoyed at their pep talk but also deeply pleased because of their doting nature.

"We want your word, Myra," Hunter demanded.

"I will not put myself in danger and call for help when things go wrong," I said sincerely. The two of them nodded before kissing me one by one. Hunter pecked my lips quickly, but Mateo took me into an intense kiss, by the end of which I was pretty breathless.

Well, I needed that kiss to calm myself down internally. I was on the verge of hyperventilating.

"We've got your back, baby girl," Mateo whispered against my lips, and I nodded, craving more than just a kiss at that moment, but we needed to set out soon because the weather was getting more and more terrible.

The three of us set out on a two-mile hike through the snow. At first, the snowing worsened, and Mateo and Hunter were already planning to go back, but fortunately, the snow lightened a bit, and we could continue.

At first, it felt like we were waking to nowhere. Vast stretches of snow lay around us without a thing in sight. We followed the compass until we could finally start to see the ruins of the old port.

Massive abandoned warehouses came into sight. All their roofs had collapsed because of the weight of the snow, and their walls were cracking—a few frozen containers laid here and there. The three of us kept wandering through the ruins of the old port until we reached close to the exact coordinates.

Mateo and Hunter hid away while I continued walking to the coordinates. It took me to a vast clearing which seemed to be used to park the containers that were either newly unloaded or were about to be loaded onto the ships. Up ahead of me, I could finally see the frozen arms of those huge cranes used to load and unload the shipping containers. I could imagine the sea somewhere beyond those arms. I couldn't see it due to the low visibility and the snow.

I stood in that clearing and continued to take in my surroundings, wondering where Arika was and where she could've hidden my servers. Were they in one of those containers in the distance? My servers were huge and heavy. I wondered how she had carried them here. I was thinking about the whole operation's logistics when I heard snow crunching behind me.

I turned around with the speed of lighting to see a lone figure walking towards me. It wasn't Hunter or Mateo. No. I didn't have to guess who it was. My hand lingered above the pocket in which I had my gun while I watched her close the distance between us.

The lone figure undid its face scarf when it was a few meters away from me, and instantly, I was staring at a familiar pair of electric blue eyes that I had inherited from my mother. Arika stared at me for a whole minute before finally speaking, "I hate it that we look alike so much,"

~

Read the COMPLETE book on Patreon, along with the exclusive bonus scenes and an alternative version of this story.

Also on Patreon: the daily updates for the sequel — A PET FOR THE DRAGONS. Also available on Patreon – Her Alpha Mates alt story, bonus scenes and much more. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3