Chapter 4: Mother

Little Nian Zhi's eyes grew wide, glistening with unshed tears. His lower lip quivered and tiny hands shivered and clenched. A soft whimper left his lips which soon grew into a distressed cry. 

The man never had any experience in dealing with kids. He found himself at loss at the moment. He had seen mothers and others comforting a child.

The man's name was Xuan Ming. He was one of the teacher's of the Tranquil Stream Sect. He is known as the hermit master because he rarely showed up and stayed in the mountains. He had seen other teachers comforting their little disciples. So, he tried to intimate them by squatting down and patted the little guy's back softly. “ What's wrong?”

Zhi-er sobbed, his face was full of mucus and tears “Please save my mother. Please mister, please” he begged him. Xuan Ming couldn't disagree and promised to descend the mountain to save her. 

Zhi-er and his mother barely survived each day. They lived in a thatched hut beside a road. The house was small yet neat. Zhi-er walked in the small room, he called for her “Mother, I am here.” Zhi-er looked somewhat relieved since the mister promised. 

The mother desperately called for her child from her bed. With the limited strength and weak voice she reprimanded him “ you silly boy, why did you go out at night? Mother was worried sick about you”. Her eyes were red and damp as she embraced the child towards her chest. 

She looked at the white clothed master. She felt embarrassed for the untidy display. The child jumped a little at the spot and told her while he held her arms with his tiny ones. “Mother, the good mister saved me from a big snake when I went to collect medicine. He promised me to save you!” Zhi-er was feeling cheerful after he saw his mother. 

The woman did not look surprised to learn of Zhi-er's motive. She smiled sincerely at Xuan Ming, “thank you mister for saving my son's life. I cannot repay this favor. This humble one, apologizes for the poor hospitality. ” and she caressed little Nian Zhi's head.  

Xuan Ming greeted her and nodded, “It's nothing yet, may I ask to have some words with you?” He discerned that no amount of medicine can cure her. As if agreeing, the mother sent Nian Zhi away to play. 

The child and the mother lived together and sold sugar figurines in the market. The woman is called Xiao Xiulan. She tried to save the little amount she earned for her child. She always hesitated to use it for herself. 

Two years ago she fell ill and  didn't get herself diagnosed. On seeing her child worried about her, she decided to get it checked which cost half of their little savings. The doctor diagnosed her with tuberculosis. The medicines were costly, thus she decided to terminate the treatment. 

Now, it has turned into a terminal illness. 

Every day she coughs blood which makes Zhi-er anxious. Xiulan would lie to him about her health to make Nian Zhi calm down. Until recently when she fell ill and couldn't leave the bed. Nian Zhi learnt about a magical medicine from a bunch of street kids. He decided to sneak out at night and get the magical medicine from the mountain.

___________________________________

[Author's note]

1. Xiulan (秀兰): "Xiu" (秀) means elegant or refined, while "lan" (兰) refers to orchids, symbolizing humility and grace.

Happy mother's day~

Guess who is gonna show up in the next chapter? 👀🥰