45

When Feng Yue arrived at where the kids were supposed to be, she did not see them, and instead, she could feel an unsettling twist in the air and she felt anxious.

Usually, when no one was here, the surroundings were peaceful and she could feel every living thing around them. Right now, although it was calm, it felt like something had tainted the air with its disgusting scent and drove away the creatures to hide.

She could feel it.

Someone had breached her barrier.

It was only a tiny slit but the feeling of evil was already all over the place. And she was very sensitive because as a fairy she was very much in tune with everything.

Suddenly she heard a rustling sound from the woods and she quickly went there to see what happened. She entered the woods and she recognized the area where Wen Ning usually hunted and she found traces of blood on the ground.

She saw that the blood was fresh and she immediately cast a tracking spell to find the owner of the blood – whether it was Wen Ning or his attacker – and unsurprisingly the tracker pointed to the lake near there.

Feng Yue ran toward the lake and she saw that Wen Ning was fighting with someone in all black, and he almost got defeated. 

She knew that although Wen Ning was quite capable, his opponent was a pro, and he also had the smell of blood and death all over him, so she decided to help Wen Ning.

She moved swiftly behind the masked man and incapacitated him with one hit to his neck, and she looked at Wen Ning.

“Are you okay?” She scanned him but aside from minor flesh wounds, he was fine. “What happened? Where’s the kids?”

Wen Ning suddenly went pale when he heard Feng Yue’s question.

“The kids are not in the field? I drew them here so that they did not hurt the kid and you could find them. Oh god, who took them?”  Wen Ning panicked as he scrambled up to go back to where the kids were, but Feng Yue stopped him.

“I was there and no one was at the usual place. Since this bastard is still alive, why don’t we ask him where they took the kids and who dared kidnap the children of the Emperor.” She took Wen Ning’s dagger and pointed it to the masked man’s throat. 

“Speak. Or I will make you regret that you were ever born.”

The children woke up in a dark place where they could smell the heavy sweet incense, and knew that they were in trouble.

The last thing they remembered was running back to their home when a portal suddenly appeared in front of them and they couldn’t stop quick enough to steer out of the way and involuntarily entered it.

Inside there was a dark place that was unfamiliar to them, and when they tried to go back to the way they came from, the portal was already closed.

“Don’t worry Xinyue, I’ll protect you.” Yingyue hugged her shaking little brother tight and took out her bow and arrows. “Stay behind me.”

She was also afraid, but she knew as the older one she had to protect her little brother. And she also believed that the others would find her soon enough so she swallowed her saliva and squeezed her brother tight, to assure him that nothing would happen to them.

Xinyue nodded and held on to his big sister's clothes, while they started to move forward, to look for an exit. He always believed in his big sister, and also Feng Yue and Wen Ning and grandpapa and baba and… Father. 

Although he was quiet and shy, he was very intelligent, and it didn’t take him long to understand that the rich uncle who always came to their place was their other father. He didn’t know what happened between baba and him, but he always prayed that someday he would be able to call him Father. And he wanted to make him proud by being a good boy and survive this… kidnapping.

He felt strange that the kidnappers knew about them, since his rich Father was always alone when he came to visit, but he guessed that maybe the kidnapper was his enemy?

He was deep in thought while holding on to his sister’s clothes, when he felt it. 

The eerie feeling of someone watching them.

“My my my, you little brats are actually quite decent from up close, if you ignore the smell of poverty all over you.”

Suddenly there was a woman’s voice laughing at them, and both kids instinctively knew that she was dangerous. They huddled up closer and Yingyue pointed her arrow to the direction of the voice and shot – only to be laughed at and mocked by the mysterious woman.

“Oh my, you’re just like your father, little girl, while the boy is just like his mother.” 

They heard the sound of fabric moving and suddenly they were face to face with a very beautiful woman dressed in all red.

The kids tried to move away from her but she grabbed them by their collars like they were little rabbits.

“Let us go, you witch! My baba will definitely crush you when he finds us!” Yingyue tried to kick her but she just laughed and threw them away. The kids braced themselves for a collision with the floor when they landed on something soft. They looked up to see a beautiful man was holding them in his embrace, but his face was blank and he didn't have any expression on his face.

“Take care of those brats while I take care of the other things.” She waved her hand and the man nodded. “Oh and restrain them, they will definitely try to run away.” 

The man nodded again and he cast a restraining spell on the kids.

“You witch! Let us go!” Yingyue started to scream and Xinyue started to cry, and the woman looked at them with an irritated expression on her face.

“Shut them up too.”

The man nodded and cast another spell that made the kids’ voice could not be heard.

“And stop calling me witch, brats, I am your grandmother, so call me Royal Grandmother before I tore your tongues out from insolence.”