57 | surprisingly, my quirk isn't being a banshee

''Y/n, you're a fucking idiot.''

She replayed Mina's words in her head over and over. She'd said that after Y/n had returned home — she didn't go to her parents'; she couldn't bring herself to after that — and told her what had happened between her and Bakugo.

Truthfully, she'd panicked. She hadn't expected Bakugo to ask her to be his girlfriend, so much so that she thought he was being forced to. Her brain was rejecting the idea that he still liked her enough to want to date her.

But what about our hero careers?

She was here to be a hero, not date, right?

Right?

''Today's assignment is to keep working on your ultimate moves.'' Cementos moved to the side after creating the individual platforms for them in the gym, letting them do their own thing. ''The previous benchmark was to create ultimate moves. Those who haven't done so will keep trying, while those who have will work on improving their existing ones.''

Y/n couldn't match Kirishima's excitement, even though she should've been ecstatic at the fact she could practice her new moves. But she couldn't be, not when Bakugo was standing ahead with his back to her, not even glancing in her direction.

This was the first time she'd seen him since the weekend. If she thought she'd avoided him well back when she'd been mad at him, she didn't know who she was comparing herself to. Bakugo had disappeared from the face of the dorm building for the weekend. At one point, she'd started thinking he'd gone to his parents' house, but Kirishima confirmed he was, in fact, somewhere in the building.

She didn't know if Kirishima knew about what had happened, but he didn't ask Y/n, nor did he act any different toward her. For that, at least, she was grateful.

''BAKUGO, SATO, Y/N, MIDORIYA! MAKE ME YOUR PERSONAL SANDBAG!''

Y/n furrowed her eyes at Kirishima. He had reached a supposed 'unbreakable' form, but she was still hesitant against going at her friend like that.

She watched Bakugo as he pointed at Kirishima with no hesitation. ''Get ready to eat my Howoitzer!''

''Okay!''

Y/n looked around the free platforms. Normally, she would've teased and begged Bakugo to bring her up to one. It was mostly to annoy him, but he would've done it. Now, she stood to the side and watched as Bakugo blasted himself up, yelling at Kirishima to hurry up.

He was acting so normal.

Was he hurt? Did he not care about what had happened? Maybe he really didn't like her all that much. Then again, it's Bakugo. He would never, ever let anyone see his real feelings.

I was the exception.

She wanted to jump off one of the platforms.

''L/n, don't stand there, use the time to practice!'' Cementos said from the side where he was reading his newspaper.

''Sorry, sir!'' Y/n quickly activated her Quirk, running a few laps around to gather some energy.

When she deemed the energy enough, she stopped atop a rather low beam. She looked up, seeing Bakugo attacking Kirishima, who was in his ultimate hardened form. He didn't really seem to be taking damage.

So, she couldn't practice throwing blows at Kirishima. Her Sonic Boom was pretty decent. What did she need to focus on again?

Right, her Sonic Scream.

The ability she'd discovered during the Shie Hassaikai operation. She'd never really gotten around to practicing it. Was it safe with the others around? She just had to direct it away from the others, it should be fine then. I think.

Okay, let's see if I can regulate it like my Sonic attacks. Let's start off with something weaker. She concentrated a smaller amount of energy in her throat and closed her eyes. She opened her mouth and took a deep breath, then let out a quick scream wave. It wasn't too loud, she thought. She focused more energy in the throat and started again, this time keeping it steady. The scream intensified and became louder the mother energy she used.

With her eyes closed, Bakugo's disappointed and angry face from that night appeared in her mind. She tried to banish it away, focus on something else, but she couldn't. She wanted to talk to him, to clear things up, but he must be so mad at her, can he even forgive her? If anyone could hold a grudge, it was Bakugo.

''Y/N!''

Someone was calling her name, but it was muffled. Maybe she was imagining it. Something warm was running out of her ears.

''Y/N!''

Bakugo's face remained in her mind. The way he walked away from her. His back facing her earlier.

''Y/N!''

A hand clasped her shoulders, finally shaking her out of her trance. She opened her eyes and looked back, coming eye to eye with Mina. She blinked. ''What?''

''You're gonna break all of our eardrums!'' Mina said. Y/n could barely hear her, but she was pretty sure she was speaking normally. Despite that, Y/n looked around. She could see Jirou clutching her ears in pain with Kaminari beside her. Everyone else was looking at her. Even Bakugo.

She couldn't read his face since he was too far, but the fact that he'd even looked at her in the first place was enough.

It hit her that not only Bakugo, but everyone else was also watching her. Embarrassment immediately filled her. ''Shit, sorry.'' She could barely hear herself. Just how strong did her scream get?

Mina pointed to her ear. ''You're bleeding.'' Y/n's hand instinctively reached for her ear. Her fingers touched something warm and when she looked at them, they were covered in blood.

''Shit, again.'' Y/n started wiping away at her ears with the longer sleeves of her winter uniform, then quickly realized how big of a mistake that was. ''Shit, no. I'm gonna go to the bathroom and clean up.''

''Do you want me to come with?'' Mina asked.

''I'll be fine.''

She rushed to the bathroom and immediately looked at herself in the mirror. She looked horrible. Her eyes were tired, eye bags under. Blood covered her ears and each side of her face, as well as her sleeves. She scoffed and took her jacket off, putting it under the faucet and running it with warm water to at least get the blood out. As she looked at herself again, she noticed there was blood on her white undershirt, too.

She groaned, turning off the faucet and crouching down. She leaned her head against the sink, her eyes staring at the ground unfocused.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

How could she act like that with Bakugo of all people? How could she basically reject the one guy she's had a proper crush on? A meaningful one? One that was returned? Hell, he was her best friend, too.

Her ears hurt, but not more than her chest. Was this worse than when he was going to pretend-kiss her to get information out of her? No, don't compare it. You have to fix this specific situation, not measure if he was bitchier than you.

She banged her head lightly against the sink before she took a deep breath and stood up, finishing the scrub of her jacket. Her shirt wasn't salvageable at the moment, so she cleaned the blood away from her face. It had stained that, too, as her ears were still pretty red. She wanted to shower.

She took her spare shirt from her locker and opted for no jacket this time. Her suit didn't really feel complete without it, but she didn't feel completed in general right now.

When she returned to class, Bakugo refused to look at her again.