it's going to be okay

KHIONE

Dealing with President Raiko was the last thing Khione wanted in an already stressful week, but everybody had to make sacrifices, she supposed.

Still, it was nice seeing Asami. They'd spoken over the phone once, Asami ranting about how Raiko had forced her and Varrick to work together, overseeing Republic City's defences, and how much she wanted to punch that arrogant bastard.

Raiko's office was a pretty thing, arched floor-to-ceiling windows letting light flood into the room. The walls were a combination of dark wood and grey and silver metal details, and in one corner, a massive vine had broken through the floor and twisted up through the ceiling, making the room smell faintly of nature. Khione stared out of the windows disinterestedly as Tenzin and Raiko greeted each other politely.

"The borders are secure, and troops are guarding the rail lines into the city. So, what have you two geniuses come up with to fend off Kuvira?" Raiko said briskly, waving away the small talk.

"It's a flying mecha suit!" Varrick shouted enthusiastically, throwing his arms up. Asami ducked to avoid being hit, unrolling the blueprints in her hands. "Asami got the idea from watching dragonfly hummingbirds. You can take off straight up! Fly in any direction!"

"Where does the spirit ray come out?" Raiko cut him off impatiently, much to Khione's distaste.

"It doesn't have a spirit ray," Varrick said seriously, his smile sliding off his face. "I'm telling you what I told Kuvira: that technology should not be used."

Raiko shot out of his seat, slamming his hands on his table with a violent bang.

"It's already being used! By Kuvira! I need spirit vine weapons, and I need them now!" Raiko said angrily, like a child throwing a tantrum. Khione's eyes narrowed in displeasure, and she knew that everybody else in the room felt similarly. She couldn't imagine how much patience Tenzin had for dealing with this spoiled brat.

"No. It was Kuvira's harvesting of the vines in the swamp that caused Republic City's vines to go crazy and grab all those people," Korra reasoned, with incredible restraint.

"You're supposed to be the bridge between the two worlds. Why can't you harvest the vines?" Raiko retorted, and Khione exchanged glances with Korra. She gave Korra a strained smile, patting her hand in support.

"I won't do that, but maybe since the spirits love Republic City so much, I can convince them to help us defend it somehow," Korra offered. Raiko nodded his approval.

"Okay, maybe while the weapon geniuses and the spirit bridge are getting ready for battle, we should be evacuating the ordinary citizens so that if Kuvira attacks, they won't be hurt!" Wu suggested helpfully.

"That's... actually a good idea," Raiko conceded in surprise. "Prince Wu, you work with the police to coordinate getting people out of the city. Now everyone get to it. I want daily updates," Raiko ordered.

Khione bowed with everybody else, the slightest inclination, before straightening. This week was about to get much more stressful.

...

Now that Khione was sure that the vines weren't going to kill her, the spirit wilds seemed much friendlier. Although, Khione couldn't help noticing how empty the place seemed.

She and Korra were walking through the wilds in content silence, looking for any spirits. Korra turned around to face an old entrance to a train station. A little turnip-like spirit was perched on its gabled roof, staring at them innocently.

"Excuse me spirit! Can I talk to y-" Korra trailed off as the spirit faded away silently. "And you're gone."

Khione frowned, brushing her stray strand of hair out of her face. "What was that about? I thought most spirits loved you?" Khione asked coolly. When the spirit wilds had first appeared, cute little spirits had flocked to Korra, drawn in by the ancient spiritual energy that surrounded her.