Chapter 11: Embrace

Inspired by one of my favourite songs, "An Wunder" (Video above) by Wincent Weiss
I might've stolen a line from it 🤭

TW: War, Mentions of Death

*****************************

Dream and George rolled through the water and flipped over several times. Sand sprayed around them as they hit the ground, tangled up in a single ball of body parts.

When the fog of sand had cleared and Dream could finally see clearly again, he was on top of George, holding his arms down, their tails entangled.

George looked up to him, blinking in confusion as he tried to take in what wierd position they were in.

Then, a realization seemed to hit him. "Get off!", he screeched, face flaming bright red. Quickly, George pushed Dream off of him and almost jumped a tail's length away.

Wait, why did he- Oh. Finally, the realization hit Dream aswell. He felt his face heat up and looked away in embaressment.

Well, we might be a couple, but we're not quite at that stage yet... Although... An idea started forming in his mind and before he could stop himself, he said: "Why did you push me away?"

George scoffed in unbelief. "Have you forgotten where we are?!", he hissed quietly.

"Oh. Yeah." George facepalmed.

"Your highness!" The older merman who lead the army had hurried over and now pulled George behind him protectively. Wait, does he actually think I would...?

Dream looked at George and their eyes met. Right now, they were less than a tail's length away from eachother, but it felt like worlds. Opposite sides of a war.

He didn't want this, Dream realized. He had never wanted anything like this. In his entire life, he had never felt this helpless.

The merman thought Dream might want to hurt George. Kill him, even. Dream had lost count of how many times he had fought back his tears this week, but this one was harder than all of them combined as the harsh reality unfolded in front of him.

They thought he would hurt the love of his life, simply because he was a siren and the other a merman. How cruel could the world be...?

Dream decided he didn't care anymore. He didn't care they were going to kill him, he didn't care about the war, he didn't care... He was done caring. He couldn't take it any longer.

He wanted to be with George, why did it have to be so difficult? Dream let his tears fall, for the first time in... he couldn't even remember. Maybe since his mom died, it didn't matter.

He swam towards George, ignoring the old merman's surprised exclaim and hugged him tightly, wrapping his arms and tail around him as if he was never going to let go and sobbed into his shoulder, letting out all the fear and pain he had been through the past few weeks.

And George didn't push him away, he just hugged him back instinctively.

A merman and a siren, floating in the middle of the battlefield in eachother's embrace, comforting the one they loved the most in the entire ocean.

Yeah, miracles do happen. After all, they are too good to not be believed in, right?