08

Author's words
1 - The names used in this story are made up by me and are purely fictional.
2 - I don't know Harshali's preferences so I made it up myself.

19.05.24

Pranali was about to ring the doorbell of Harshad's flat when the door opened from the inside revealing his sister. Harsha was surprised to see Pranali, her brother's co-star, at the door. She knew that they were close but it was not the right time to talk. “Pranali, I am sorry but we can't talk right now. Bhai is not here and I am leaving, too. Please understand.” She said in a hurry.

“Kya hua di?” Pranali was confused but seeing her disheartened eyes and messy – according to Harshad's standards – living room, she could understand that it was something very serious. “Something bad has happened?”

“It's papa. He is in the hospital right now. I need to reach as soon as possible. I'll let you know everything but after some time, please. It's urgent.” Harsha said while picking up her bag and locking the door. She walked towards the lift and was confused to see Pranali behind her.

“What?” She asked Pranali, not intending to be rude but the seriousness of the situation demanded it. “Di, let me come with you. Main aayi thi Harshad se milne but I think we both should go and see uncle ji, what if a need arises. I'm worried about him.” Pranali replied. Harsha just nodded her head and pressed the button on the lift.

She hurriedly moved towards her car and reached the hospital in a record time, almost breaking one or two traffic rules.

-

City hospital, Mumbai.

Reaching the hospital, the receptionist directed them towards the ward. From outside the little glass window, they could see Harshad's father sleeping and harshad talking with the doctors seriously.

Harsha knocked on the door and called out to her brother. Pranali, not knowing what to do, hid behind her. She did not know what will Harshad think about her arrival. Harshad didn't say anything but it was clear from his eyes that he didn't mind her presence.

The doctor informed them that it was a case of a minor heart attack, common in people of his age. “Aapko inka dhyan rakhna hoga, khaas-kar inke diet ka. Inki mental health ka bhi dhyan rakhna padega, koshish kijiye ki inki baat aap log taale nahi. He should be fine in a few months and go back to his routine.”

**Though no doctor says this much IRL, but whatever. It's fiction.**

[You have to pay attention to his health, especially his diet. You will also have to take care of his mental health; try not to ignore his words and include him in talks.]

Harshad nodded and the trio moved out of the room, letting Harshad's father rest peacefully. Harsha explained the situation to her brother and he just looked at Pranali with grateful eyes. “No one cares for someone else’s family this much nowadays. I feel grateful to have you as my friend.” He said and Pranali just smiled in response.

Just as Harshad excused himself and went to buy the medicines, Pranali too made an excuse and left. She knew that it was not a time to talk about her job or celebrate. She'd have to do that some other day. What she did miss while leaving was Harsha looking at her with a strange, teasing smile.

-

Reaching her home, Pranali explained everything to her sister and asked her to keep it a secret as she didn't get to talk to Harshad. Ruchi agreed but continued to tease her like a typical sibling. “Abhi se hi itni chinta hai, agar baat ban gayi toh kya hoga madam ka?”

[She is already so worried. If things work out, what will happen to you Madam?]

“Bas kar na tu.” Pranali blushed. Their fun banter was interrupted by their mother's call for dinner.

“Pinu, tera phone baj raha tha. Maine uthaya toh nahi but tu check kar le ek baar.” Pranali’s mother told her. It was Harshad's call but she didn't say it. A mother's instinct knew about her daughter’s feelings but she ignored it as a silly crush on a sweet and friendly guy. She didn't know what was in store for the future.

[Pinu, your phone was ringing. I did not pick it up but you should check it once.]

Elsewhere, Harshad's father had been awake for some time now. The fear for his health has made him think about his children’s future and he came to a decision…

• • •

Uff… it was so difficult

Please appreciate it [shower with votes and comments] otherwise forget about it.

Bheekh mangna mujhe bilkul bhi pasand nahi hai so I won't be doing that. I'll just put up a “discontinue” tag and be done with it.

If you want to ignore it, please go ahead. I understand that you might have lost interest by now.

Signing off,
Sriya.