Accidentally a Warcrime

Date: 75 PST (Post Stasis Time)

"Yeah, it's super exciting times! Two non-Terran AI, a Woolean, and a Tritian, finally interacting with us. There's even been talks of some of the Woolean governments starting to formalize diplomatic relations with the Alliance. Exciting stuff!"

The avian uplift spoke with a measure of excitement, the ex-parrot's feathers moving with a passion as they spoke about recent events, eyes glinting with excitement as she swung the glass of liquid around before taking a swig of the alcoholic beverage.

The bar was a small thing, more of a place to stay and drink in-between your travels, a tiny little room of bare steel chairs and tables, all lit by dim fluorescent lighting. It didn't even have a bartender, just a little synthesizer which could create a variety of drinks. Sure, an aficionado of mixology would claim that synthesized drinks just don't taste the same, but anyone coming to an establishment such as this wasn't looking for a high class experience.

It was mostly about company while you waited for your ship to fuel on this small Terran owned space station.

"A Tritian? A Woolean I could understand, since they are less aggressive, but a Tritian? How do you get one of those without them trying to kill you?"

The second voice of the three figures sitting at the bar was an unnatural one, tinted with the digital origin of its speaker. The figure was bipedal, but not of an organic nature; instead a 7ft machine of metal, tubes, and wires making it look like something that had been welded together in someone's backyard. Their 'face' was shown upon a single display: A pixelated representation of two eyes and a mouth. The entire form was a clear design choice by the AI inhabiting the body, considering more 'realistic' representations were readily available.

Most AI spent their time in a digital form, but a few preferred a more... physical existence. MADHAU5 was such an AI, enjoying the relative quiet and difference in point of view from such a limited perspective. He also held a small glass of liquor in one robotic hand, keeping it perfectly level as he spoke. The AI couldn't drink it of course, but merely holding it... added to the ambience.

"The AI who brought them along, JOSH, brought a Tritian along without telling anyone when his crew escaped from a Tritian warship." The avian responded to the question. "From what I heard, they kept the Tritian in isolation for over ten years!"

"Ooof, you can't do that! I'm surprised that the Tritian AI was willing to cooperate with us after being illegally detained."

The last voice joined the conversation the trio were having. A human, short built and still wearing his leather pilot jacket. The three sat in a row against the bar top, each looking at the others as they talked: An uplift, a human and an AI. A perfect representation of what it meant to be a Terran.

"Not like it would matter legally, the Tritian presumably attacked first, making them a combatant."

There was a pause as both the human and uplift turned to stare at the words the AI had just spoken, looks of confusion filling both of their faces as they both looked at MADHAU5.

"Umm, that is not how that works...." The avian interjected, slowly and unsurely.

"Yeah, whether they attack you doesn't change the legality." The human added. "You can't just kidnap people for years because they assaulted you."

"No, no, no, they are an enemy combatant at that point, meaning what happens is their fault."

Another pause, most looks of confusion, the human giving a small laugh as if this was some joke he wasn't quite getting yet.