Chapter 42: (The Date)

[Chapter 42]

Zara had no idea that Alex was rich, so Karen stopped paying attention to her and started to fix her makeup.

"Karen, this is your big chance to get James to admit his feelings. Hurry up and finish making yourself look pretty. If you get any prettier, I'll be jealous!" Zara teased.

"I know I need to make the most of this opportunity," Karen said, applying mascara to her eyelashes. Does she think I'd go to this much trouble for James? she thought. No, I'm trying to attract Alex, not James.

Zara had no idea what Karen was thinking.

"It's still early, so let's take a stroll in the mall." Zara took Karen's arm and went to pull her into the shopping mall.

"No, Alex will be here soon. It would be rude to not be here when he arrives." Karen refused to move. Meeting up with Alex was the most important thing she had to do. Nothing else mattered.

"Why do you care so much about a loser like him?" Zara pouted.

Twenty minutes later, Alex stepped out of the taxi, and his eyes lit up when he saw two beautiful women walking toward him.

Karen was very pretty. She was tall and curvy, with long wavy hair. Her makeup highlighted her beautiful face, and the split in her long skirt provided flashes of her legs as she walked. She was every man's fantasy.

"You're late." Zara slapped Alex's shoulder. "And you made us wait for you. Who do you think you are?"

"Zara, stop it!" Karen stuck up for him. "The university isn't that close, and twenty minutes isn't long at all." She turned to Alex. "Sorry, you know how impatient my cousin can be."

Zara felt uncomfortable. Why is my cousin saying that about me? she thought. He's just a loser. Why is she taking his side? But then she remembered that her cousin was tricking Alex into liking her, and Zara's resentment faded as she understood.

"Alex, what happened to the Mercedes? Why did you come in a taxi?" Zara crossed her arms as she smirked at Alex.

After what had happened the previous day, Alex didn't want to hide his identity anymore.

Karen started to panic. Would Alex admit who he was? It's over, she thought. Zara is going to find out.

"Did you send the Mercedes to the garage for repairs?" Zara sneered. It was hard to tell when this loser was lying. He was just too good at it. "Stop pretending. Rachael already told me the car isn't yours. You were just trying to play the big man that day."

"Oh?" Alex said, annoyed at Zara's attitude. "Then tell me, if that wasn't my car, then why didn't I make Howard pay for the damage? I'm just a poor loser, remember? I can't afford that much money."

Zara didn't have an answer for that. She blushed as she tried to think of an explanation.

"You just wanted to act tough in front of us," Zara said in exasperation. "Besides, you're so poor that it doesn't make a difference how much it costs. Even if it was only a hundred dollars, you still couldn't pay it back!"

Tired of arguing, she didn't even give him a chance to respond. She pushed him and kicked him a few times. "Don't you dare talk back to me."

Zara's kicks didn't hurt, so Alex couldn't be bothered to fight with her.

"Karen, be careful," Zara said. "This loser looks honest, but he's a schemer."

"It's fine. Don't worry about us," Karen said. "Zara, don't you have an appointment to get to?" She winked.