Chapter 42-

I heard a strange laughter coming from the bathroom.

It sounded almost... psychotic.

Was Jeff okay?...

I got up and knocked on the door, "Jeff?"

The laughter stopped- and I had the better sense to go sit back on the bed while I waited.

A few moments later, the door opened and my breath stopped all together.

Jeff's smile- the scarring... he had cut into it-making it new.

When I was finally able to rip my gaze from his face- my attention roamed down to the deep scrapes that ran down the sides of his arms.

I went to reach out for him- but realized that something lurked in his eyes- something that had snapped.

Something that dared me to try to coddle him- to make a big deal over what had he done.

No, don't say anything about it (y/n). Know your limits.

Hopefully he'll come down from whatever this is.

I retracted my hand and took a deep breath before smiling, "I still haven't eaten- did you want to go eat lunch together?"

He narrowed down at me, as if he hadn't expected for me to react that way, "Do what you want for all I care."

His demeanor had changed entirely back to the one I had caught a glimpse of that first day in the forest.

What had caused the flip to switch?

I did my best to hide my disappointment- keeping the corners of my mouth upturned, "Okay, I'll go downstairs with you."

I watched as his body tensed- his back to me as he toweled his hair.

"You can go yourself," he gritted, "I'm not hungry anymore."

I wanted to urge him to eat. I wanted to reach over there and tend to the blood that continued to drip down his skin. I wanted to tell him that I would stay here with him if he wasn't going to go downstairs.

But I knew better than to do that.

"Okay," I said, getting up from the bed, "I'll be in the kitchen if you need me."

Silence rang between us and I left him there to sulk.

Hopefully his attitude will recover by end of the day.

I had sat in the kitchen for a long while- having eaten and cleaned up- still managing to be at the table for another two hours after that.

Some people had passed me by- ones that I hadn't yet met- but I didn't pay them any notice, causing them to eventually grow bored and leave.

I had stayed here for so long- in case Jeff decided he wanted to come eat with me. Also, because I knew he needed time in his room alone.

"You've been here for quite some time." LJ called out.

I looked up- he was sitting at the chair across the table from me.

How long had he been there?

"Yeah, staking out while Jeff gets himself together."

LJ let out a humored laugh, "Yeaaah, I saw the guy. He wasn't looking too good," he paused, gliding a claw across his chin in thought, "Well, actually- he looks like his usual self. The one I'm used to."

I let out a sigh, scanning the man that sat before me.

"The stars suit you," I said, "Do you like them?"