43. Birthdays

Sophia's POV.

This past year had been one of the hardest for us. Between the drugs, break up, reconciliation and cheating scandals, Leah and I barely had time to breathe, let alone celebrate anything. Birthdays, anniversaries, and special moments seemed to slip away unnoticed. We were too caught up in the whirlwind to mark the passing of time.

But now, with the dust finally settling, I realised just how much we had missed. Leah's birthday had come and gone without any fanfare, and mine was in a couple of days. I wanted to make up for lost time and give us a day that would remind us of who we were beyond the chaos.

On a sunny Saturday morning, I woke up early and slipped out of bed quietly, careful not to disturb Leah. She looked so peaceful, her face relaxed in sleep. I made my way to the kitchen, where I started preparing breakfast. Pancakes, bacon, fresh fruit - all Leah's favorites. The smell of sizzling bacon soon filled the air, and I knew it would wake her up.

Just as I was setting the table, Leah appeared in the doorway, her hair tousled from sleep, a curious smile playing on her lips. "What's all this?" she asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Happy belated birthday," I said, crossing the room to give her a kiss. "I know we missed it, but I want to make today special for us. And with my birthday coming up, we can make this a celebration for both of us."

Leah's eyes softened, and she pulled me into a tight hug. "You didn't have to do this, Soph. But thank you. This means a lot."

We sat down to breakfast, savouring the food and each other's company. It felt like a long overdue breath of fresh air. The light streaming through the kitchen windows bathed everything in a warm, golden glow, and for the first time in a long while, I felt a sense of calm.

After breakfast, we decided to go out and enjoy the day. We took a walk in the park, laughing and reminiscing about happier times. The spring air was crisp and invigorating, the trees bursting with new leaves, and the flowers blooming in a riot of colors. It felt good to reconnect, to remember why we were so strong together.

As we wandered through the park, we found a quiet spot by the lake. Ducks swam lazily, their feathers catching the sunlight, and we sat on a bench, watching them. Leah leaned her head on my shoulder, and I felt a surge of affection for her. "It's so peaceful here," she said softly.

"Yeah, it is," I replied, squeezing her hand. "I missed this. Just being with you, without any distractions."

Leah turned to look at me, her eyes filled with emotion. "I missed it too, Sophia. We've been through so much, but moments like this remind me why it's all worth it."

We sat there for a while, just enjoying each other's presence. Eventually, we decided to head back home. The afternoon sun was warm on our faces, and we walked hand in hand, our hearts lighter than they had been in months.

When we got home, I led Leah into the living room, where I had another surprise waiting. I had transformed the space into a cosy sanctuary, with fairy lights, soft blankets, and a projector set up to watch some of our favorite movies. I had even prepared a scrapbook of memories - photos, ticket stubs, little notes we had written to each other over the past year. It was a tribute to our journey together, a reminder of all the good times we had shared.

Leah's eyes sparkled with tears as she flipped through the scrapbook. "This is amazing, Sophia. I can't believe you did all this."

"I wanted to remind us of who we are," I said, taking her hand. "We've been through so much, but we're still here, still us. And that's worth celebrating. With my birthday in a couple of days, let's make this a birthday week to remember."