68. Struggle

Sophia's POV.

The chill of a November afternoon cut through me as we stepped onto the pitch. The anticipation in the air was massive; we were top of the league, and today's match was crucial. The international window was just around the corner, and everyone was watching. Leah gave me a reassuring smile, and I tried to draw strength from her confidence.

As the game began, I struggled to find my rhythm. Passes I'd usually make with ease went astray, and my touch was heavy. My confidence waned with every mistake. The crowd's energy, usually a source of motivation, felt oppressive today.

By halftime, I was already frustrated with my performance. Leah tried to encourage me, but my own thoughts were louder. In the second half, things only got worse. After I missed a clear chance, Jonas signalled for a substitution. Walking off the pitch, I felt a mix of disappointment and shame.

The match ended in a draw, and as we headed to the changing room, Leah wrapped an arm around me. "It's just one game, Soph. Don't be too hard on yourself."

I nodded, but the disappointment was hard to shake. The bus ride home was silent, Leah sitting next to me, holding my hand. She tried to distract me with light conversation and jokes, but my mind kept replaying every mistake.

Back home, Leah made us dinner, trying to lift my spirits. She was patient and kind, constantly reassuring me that one bad game didn't define me. Despite her efforts, I felt a growing knot of anxiety in my chest. After dinner, while Leah was washing up, I made the mistake of logging onto social media.

The first post I saw hit me like a punch to the gut:

fan1234
Hughes was a disaster today. No way she gets picked for England again. She's done.

I scrolled down, finding more of the same:

ArsenalFan98
We drew because of Sophia. She's a waste of a player. Not the same this season at all.

FootyLover22
Sophia's performance was embarrassing. She's not cut out for Arsenal anymore

Each comment stung, feeding into my insecurities. Tears welled up in my eyes as I read more:

TopGunner
Sophia Hughes is just not good enough. We need someone reliable, not someone who chokes under pressure.

I couldn't read anymore. I locked my phone and buried my face in my hands, trying to hold back the tears. Leah must have heard my sniffles, because she came over, concern etched on her face.

"Sophia, what's wrong?"

I shook my head, not trusting myself to speak. She sat next to me, pulling me into a tight hug. "It's the comments, isn't it?" she asked gently.

I nodded, the tears finally spilling over. "They're right, Leah. I'm not good enough. I'm letting everyone down."

"No, you're not," Leah said firmly. She pulled back slightly, looking into my eyes. "You had a bad game. That happens to everyone. But it doesn't change who you are or what you're capable of."

"But what if it's true?" I whispered. "What if I'm not good enough anymore?"

Leah shook her head. "It's not true. You're an incredible player, Soph. You've had a tough time, but you're strong and talented. Don't let a few bad comments define you."

Despite her words, the self-doubt lingered. I spent the rest of the night trying to push the negativity out of my mind, but it felt like an uphill battle. Leah stayed by my side, never once leaving me alone with my thoughts.

As I lay in bed that night, Leah's arms around me, I knew I had to find a way to rebuild my confidence. It wouldn't be easy, but with Leah's support, I felt a glimmer of hope.