44. Dad

Sophia's POV.

A few days after the initial text exchange, I found myself sitting in a quiet café, my heart pounding with anxiety. Leah sat beside me, her hand in mine, offering silent support. I had agreed to meet my father, despite the turmoil it caused within me. Leah's presence was my anchor, grounding me as I faced the man who had caused me so much pain.

The café was nearly empty, the soft hum of conversation blending with the clinking of cups. I spotted him as soon as he walked in. He looked older, more tired, but his presence still sent a shiver down my spine. He approached our table with a hesitant smile, and I took a deep breath, bracing myself for what was to come.

"Hello, Sophia," he said, his voice tentative. "It's good to see you."

"Hi, Dad," I replied, my voice steadier than I felt. "This is Leah, my partner."

He nodded curtly at Leah, who gave a polite smile but didn't let go of my hand. We ordered drinks, and an uncomfortable silence settled over us.

"So, you're... still playing football?" he asked awkwardly, trying to make small talk.

"Yes," I replied, keeping my answers short. I wasn't here for pleasantries. I needed answers.

"I've seen some of your matches," he said, attempting to bridge the gap. "You're very talented."

"Thank you," I said, not sure how to respond. His words felt hollow, given the years of absence and neglect.

He cleared his throat, glancing nervously at Leah before continuing. "I'm glad you agreed to meet. I know I have a lot to make up for."

I took a deep breath, feeling the anger and hurt rise within me. "Why now, Dad? After all these years, why reach out?"

He looked down at his hands, wringing them together. "I've had time to think, to realise my mistakes. I was wrong to shut you out. I was angry and hurt, and I took it out on you unfairly."

Leah squeezed my hand, her silent encouragement giving me strength. "It wasn't just about the affair, was it?" I said, my voice trembling. "You never believed I was your daughter, and you treated me like I didn't belong."

He sighed, a shadow crossing his face. "I was scared, Sophia. Your mother's betrayal broke me. I didn't know how to deal with it, and I projected that fear onto you. It wasn't right, and I'm sorry."

I felt a mix of emotions - anger, sadness, a flicker of hope. But before I could respond, he glanced at Leah again, his expression hardening. "And now you're... with a woman," he said, a hint of disdain in his voice. "Is that why you never married a man? Because of the way you were raised?"

Leah's grip on my hand tightened, and I felt my heart rate spike. "This is who I am," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "Leah is my partner, and I love her."

He frowned, clearly uncomfortable. "I always hoped you'd... settle down with a nice man. Start a family. This isn't what I imagined for you."

Leah's hand moved to my leg, stroking it gently to calm me. She could sense my rising panic. "Sophia's happiness is what matters," Leah said firmly, her voice steady. "And she's happy with me."

He scoffed, shaking his head. "I just don't understand. It's not natural."

Leah stood up, her face a mask of calm anger. "It's natural to love and support each other. And Sophia doesn't need your approval to be who she is."

I felt tears welling up, my breathing becoming shallow. Leah stretched out her hand to me, offering me the chance to leave. I took it, feeling a surge of strength from her unwavering support.