Three Comrades (One-shot)

2014

   "It was an honour having you here, Namibia."

     Namibia's full lips curved up as North Korea bowed politely to her.

    "I'm always willing to attend a birthday party. Especially for someone who made such grand statues for me." She swished the hem of her vibrant sunshine-and-emerald dress, smiling coyly. "If you invite me to the next one, maybe I'll visit again."

    "My people built the statues," North deflected. "But I am glad you liked them. You'll definitely receive an invitation to my next Foundation Day. Maybe we can use the opportunity to discuss more co-ventures in the future."

     The Korean country ardently kept his back to the eyes burning into him, though he sensed the knowing smile belonging to one pair.

    Namibia laughed, a full-bodied sound for someone so tall and slender. "More fun ventures, yeah?"

     "If you're going to be here next year, Namibia, I suppose I will be, too," the knowing smile said from behind North.

    The African woman raised her brows. "Make sure to bring some of those Chinese milk candies. They might get you further. Not far enough, but further."

    "When the goal is your company, I'm content simply staying in one place," China said, smiling winningly. "So long as it's by your side."

   Namibia shook her head, grinning. "You really are dangerous, huh? I better leave before you have time to think up more pick-up lines."

     "Have a safe trip," North cut in, knowing full well that the Chinese country needed no time at all to think up more compliments. "My comrades outside will take you to the airport."

    "Thanks, North." Namibia waved as she strutted from his high-rise. "Oshi iwete, everyone."

    The door shut, and the third person in the room waited a full five seconds before slurring, "Are you sleeping with her?"

     China turned to the boy leaning on the lobby counter with mock affront. "You know I never mix business with pleasure, Russia. Namibia and I are simply close friends who share many joint finance projects."

     "Then stop flirting with her in my country," North interjected while Russia hummed in skepticism. "It's getting in the way."

    "Think of it as softening her up," China said airily. "Putting her off-balance so you can suggest some military exercise or something or the other."

    "Tch." It really was a military exercise North wanted to set up with the African country.

     'Know-it-all bastard.'

    "Namibia has standards anyway," Russia said, supporting himself on the counter with one muscular arm. "I guess she wouldn't sleep with a slut like you."

   China clicked his tongue. "Words can hurt, Russia."

   Despite his own words, he looked uninjured.

   North grimaced at the use of the epithet, but made no attempt to defend the other man. It was true, after all. He had found out on last year's Foundation Day that, at some point during his absence, his comrade had started committing his body to women instead of just flattering words.

    By 'heading home' with one of North's people. He had done it again on this Victory Day as well. And no amount of disgust or threats from North seemed like they would stop him. He despised it, but as the women were willing, there wasn't much he could do.