~Coffee & Babysitting~

The holiday season came quickly, with almost everywhere decorated already on Black Friday. Paul and Emma had a different story. They had decided to spend Thanksgiving together, Emma insisting on cooking the feast, which Paul was ok with. She did the food and he would do the dishes. They ate dinner together, which Paul enjoyed. It had been a while since he had a proper meal with someone.

The couple went to sleep at Emma's place after she received a late-night text from her brother in law. "Tom wants us to go over tomorrow at 6 in the morning for a second Thanksgiving with him and Tim," Emma said, "Wanna come?"

"Sure, that sounds fun!" Paul exclaimed with a smile. Emma drove him to her place so they could sleepover and Paul could sleep a little later.

At 5:45 in the morning, Emma woke Paul up. "C'mon, we're going to be late!" Emma exclaimed, "Get dressed, I'll be in the car."

Paul feverishly got ready, wearing his favorite Christmas sweater. He got into the car as Emma started on the drive. While tired, Paul noticed Emma ignoring the navigation. "Em, you're missed at least 5 turns," Paul said, looking back on yet another street Emma would've turned on.

"I know," Emma said, as the navigation gave up on rerouting and instead had Emma do a U-turn. She turned into a drive-thru Starbucks. "Did you bring your coffee or do you need some?"

"I drank mine before we left," Paul said.

"So yes or no?" Emma asked.

"No," Paul said.

"Alright," Emma said.

"Hi, welcome to Starbucks how can I help you today?" The drive-thru asked.

"Hi, I'll get a venti flat white with three pumps of vanilla and three shots of espresso," Emma said.

"Alright, we'll meet you at the window," the voice said as Emma pulled up.

Overall, it went pretty quickly and then Emma headed to Tom's. Without so much as a hello, Tom let Paul and Emma in. Upon entering, Tom closed the door and disappeared. A small boy with features similar to Tom and Emma was sitting. "Hey Tim," Emma said, dropping her bags a little ways from the door.

"Hi, Aunt Emma!" The little boy, Tim, said, running to hug Emma.

"We missed you Thanksgiving yesterday, but I heard you and your dad did something pretty cool. Pizza Pete's?" Emma said, wanting to try and engage in conversation with Tim. Paul joined in.

"Oh, Pizza Pete's? That is cool!" Paul exclaimed. Tim noticed.

"Who are you?" Tim asked, noticing Paul.

"Oh, I'm Paul. I'm Emma's—" Paul stopped, as if to think, but looked at Emma who rolled her eyes. She smiled and Paul returned a small one. "Boyfriend."

"Well, we haven't put a label on it, so," Emma said, winking at Paul subtly.

"But we are intimate," Paul said. He sat next to Tim, but still left room for Emma between them. "Uh, you know, Pete, Tom, Tim! We uh- I used to go to Pizza Pete's when I was a kid! I used to love the ball pits, the bumper carts."

The tension in the air rose. Tim broke the silence, uncomfortable. "Yeah, I don't really like getting hit by cars anymore," Tim said quietly.

"Right, yeah, because of the," Paul said, fading into silence. Emma tried to make the atmosphere friendlier.

"Well, I mean, that stuff's for little kids, Pizza Pete's is all about the games, right?" Emma asked. Tim smiled.

"Yeah. Mom and I used to play Zombie House. Dad can't 'cause he's not supposed to hold a gun. Not even a fake one. He gets flashbacks," Tim said. Paul seemed confused as Tom entered the room.