Chapter 5

Crystal's eyes shot open. She sat up in bed as she realized that it was early morning.

"I must have fallen asleep," she thought.

As she walked around her room, she could smell something amazing: warm butter and syrup. She looked around to find that the source of the smell came from a plate of waffles on her bedside table. As she walked towards it, she realized that it had a note attached to it. which read:

"Crystal,

I made you blueberry waffles. I don't know if they'll still be warm by the time you wake up. If they aren't, I have a microwave that you're free to use. I've gone to see Glenda, to tell her you haven't murdered me yet, and that you're locked in your cell. I doubt it'll take that long, but today is Friday, and I normally eat breakfast with her on Fridays. If I don't, she might get a little suspicious, so I'm not taking any chances. Feel free to do whatever while I'm gone. Also, remember what I said yesterday about trying to run away. It won't end well. I'll probably be back in an hour or two.

James"

Crystal put the note back on her bedside table. She was confused at the thought of someone being nice to her. It felt warm inside, which was kind of a good feeling, but she wasn't used to someone who didn't fear her. She hated that she didn't know what to do about it.

Crystal shifted her focus to the waffles. The smell of warm butter put her in a good mood. As she cut into them, she could see the syrup oozing down the size of it. The inside of the waffle was filled with blue dots, which had to be the blueberries. She could feel the heat coming off them, so she knew that James couldn't have been gone too long. As she put the waffles in her mouth, she was shocked at how great they were. The butter melted in her mouth as she could feel the syrup oozing through it. The blueberries added an amazing twist to them, giving them more flavor. She quickly devoured the rest of them, almost in one bite. Crystal had had many waffles in her lifetime, but never as good as these.

"He couldn't have actually made these, could he?" she thought.

After wondering for a second, she opened the door to her room and walked out. She walked down the long hallway and went left, making her way into the kitchen.

As she walked into the kitchen she saw that the walls were tan, with a white tile floor. There was a white fridge on the left, followed by obsidian counters and a black stove. The counters formed a right angle, with the sink on the end.

She saw that spread out over the counters were the ingredients for the waffles. In the sink was a small pan that looked recently used.

"How is that possible?" Crystal thought. "How could these possibly be homemade and still taste this good?" She smiled, remembering how good they actually tasted.

After she cleaned up the mess left on the counters, Crystal went back into her room and plopped down on the bed. She tried to think of something fun to do while James was gone, but couldn't think of anything. She could explore the house, but she's already seen it.

"I guess there is one room I haven't seen," Crystal thought.

She walked across the hall and stood in front of James's bedroom door. She wasn't sure if she was supposed to go in, but he never said not to, and she was bored, so she decided to have a look. As she opened the door, she was surprised by his room. It wasn't messy, like she thought it was going to be. The room was the same tan color as the rest of the house. His bed was in the right corner. It had black covers, and white sheets. Beside his bed was a huge shelf filled with books. Across the room, was a large closet with all his clothes neatly hung up. Overall, the room was very organized, which surprised her.