Chapter 8

Crystal opened her door a crack and peaked out. Making sure James wasn't there, she closed her door and locked it, trying to complete her plan without his interruption.

"I can do things on my own," she mumbled silently to herself, closing her blinds.

After she looked around one more time, Crystal made a huge ball of light and energy in her hand. She focused her power, and her strength, shooting it out at the ball, which was becoming brighter by the second. She glanced down at her heart-shaped necklace. Nothing.

She closed her eyes, focusing more power and strength into the ball of energy. The ball got bigger and bigger, as her muscles became more sore. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a faint glow coming from her necklace.

"I knew it!" she yelled out, getting rid of the ball of energy.

Once the ball had disappeared, Crystal ignored the soreness in her muscles, ran to her door, and unlocked it. She ran outside trying to find James. First, she walked to his room, guessing that he was in there. She saw that the door was closed so she banged on it repetitively.

"James, James, guess what!" she called through the door.

"Come in!" James's voice rang out, although a little muffled by the wooden door.
She opened the door and stepped inside, excited to tell him her new discovery.

"Guess what," Crystal said, a large smile spread across her face.

"Okay fine. What?" James asked.

"I think I found the source of my powers," Crystal said, proud of herself. "And I did it on my own," she added in sarcastically.

"Oh. Did you now?" James said, smirking.

"Yes, I did," Crystal said, a smug look on her face.

"Then what is it, oh independent one?" he teased.

Crystal glared at him.

"I'm not saying anything because you're a jerk."

"Okay, okay. I'll be nice." James laughed.

Crystal hesitated, but decided to tell him. "Well... It's my necklace."

"What do you mean?" James asked. "How could it be your necklace? I doubt it's anything special."

"You're right. I mean, it might have been. I don't remember. But it's definitely my necklace. The first time I used my powers, I saw my necklace glow. I ignored it, thinking it was just in my head, but I kept noticing every time I did magic. So this morning, I made a huge ball of magical energy, to see if my necklace would glow then, and it did! Therefore, my necklace is the source of my power and I am a genius. Thank you very much!" Crystal said, bowing like she had just completed a huge performance.

"A genius, huh?" James said, followed by a laugh.

"Yup," Crystal replied. She pulled her necklace in front of her face, examining it. "You know, you're right. It doesn't seem like anything special at all. Also, I don't understand why I never had powers before, but I do now. I mean, I've had this necklace for as long as I can remember, and it's never done anything like this."