Chapter 14

Crystal jerked open her eyes. She stumbled and almost fell, but James caught her before she could. Her breathing was heavy, and her heart was racing.

"Are you okay?" James asked.

"Fine." Crystal said. She didn't have the energy to explain what had happened.

"Did you do it?" he asked.

"Did I do what?"

"Get rid of the memories, but leave the others."

"Pretty sure. How long did it take?"

"Just a few seconds."

What? That seemed impossible. She saw multiple scenes, each one taking five minutes at least. There was no way each one was only a fraction of a second. Could her brain really process all those memories that fast? She had once read an article that said the average dream only lasted five minutes. The scenes all looked and felt like dreams, so maybe it was the same premise.

"Do you have a solution as to what we are going to do with her?" James asked, pointing to Glenda.

"I'm pretty sure the last thing she remembers is walking back from whatever she had to do."

"That thing she skipped breakfast for earlier? What was it?"

"I don't know. It was important though, whatever it was. She was coming here to apologize to you."

"I feel horrible," he said sitting down in a chair. "This all happened because she wanted to apologize."

"Remember how we tried to get her to stop but she wouldn't? And how we tried to reason with her but she wouldn't listen? It is not our fault."

"Yeah. I guess you're right."

"Okay, here's the plan," Crystal said, changing the subject. "We need to take her outside, and throw her on the ground." She saw James's unsure look, then added, "I mean gently lay her down." Her voice contained a hint of sarcasm, and she glared at James while saying it. "Anyway, when she wakes up, you need to be there. Tell her she fell, or whatever. Then she'll go off on her own merry way, and we can get on with our lives."

"Are you sure this will work?" James asked.

"I hope so."

James stood up, and started to drag Glenda. He was strong, but it took a while to drag her outside. Crystal stood there and waited. She sighed impatiently.

"Do you want to help?!" James said, noticing Crystal's sigh.

"Not really."

"Then be quiet."

He continued to pull her, adjusting her every minute or so. After about five minutes, he had only moved her about two feet.

Crystal couldn't stand there and wait anymore. It was taking forever. She used her magic, and slowly lifted Glenda into the air. James didn't notice at first. He seemed to be grateful that she had gotten lighter. Then, once she was raised to about his knees, he knew.

"Seriously?"

"You wanted me to help," Crystal said.