six o'clock: tale as old as time

As I stood outside Donovan's window, attempting to toss clumps of loose soil at his window, I wondered what I was doing wrong. Coralie Evans did not apologize; much less grovel at someone's unanswering windowsill. It was perfectly acceptable for evil queens, princes, and squires to be beggars, but a princess's reputation was practically in the crapper if she did such a peasantly thing.

So, I stopped and clapped the dirt off of my hands. Donovan's mother would appreciate me preserving the other 89% of her garden. I marched right up the steps and smashed my finger into the doorbell. His mother opened the door and directed me up the stairs. I tried my best to hide my stained palms from her sight.

I entered Donovan's room after several unsuccessful knocks. His bed was made, but the sheets were crumpled and his blanket was folded so poorly that half of the corners were hidden beneath the many folds. I'm not sure what compelled me to peel back the curtains, but I'm glad I did. A curious Donovan was lugging a large bag across the lawn. I unhooked the window latch and called out to him. "What're you doing?"

Donovan looked around quizzically before his eyes settled on me. "Coralie? Why are you in my room?"

"What is that?"

"What, this?" I nodded. "It's a bag of soil."

"Why do you have a bag of soil?" He pointed to the hole that I dug, to which I smiled sheepishly at. "Oops." I held up my index finger. "I'll be down in a sec."

I took my time going to the front yard. The last thing I wanted was to upset his mom for running in the house. It also had nothing to do with me being lazy.

Donovan sighed and asked, "Why are you even here?"

"I came to...came to..."

"Came to what? Throw dirt at my window and then make me clean it up?"

"I didn't make you clean it up!"

"Coralie, please. I'm not just going to leave it like this. My mom would freak."

"Thanks, Donovan."

There was an awkward silence before he said anything. He dropped some dirt into my head. "Get to work, princess."

***

Now that I had my loyal companion by my side, I could continue on with my quest for love. There was a bit of lull at my lunch table, so I took this opportunity to further my plans. After doing extensive research and conducting numerous surveys, I had located the least attractive guy in school. Marshall Kevinson was a gangly sophomore who was notorious for smelling like rancid meat. After doing several walkbys, I could confirm this rumor.

Unlike all of my other princes, Marshall Kevinson was not a one-day project. This would take days of preparation. I would need to collect the supplies and make sure some of it ended up in his hands otherwise it would be more torturous than I wanted.

"So what exactly did you send him?" Donovan asked.

"Just a fruit basket with some deodorant and flea powder."

"Flea powder?"

"Don't judge me. It's better to be safe than sorry."

"Wait. How did you get his address?"

"How many times do I have to tell you not to ask me silly questions?"

"God, you are so creepy. I don't have that wagon you asked for, but I have a wheelbarrow."