nine o'clock: once upon a dream

I had never been one to take dreams seriously. They were nothing more than entertainment while I slept, but this particular dream had me thinking otherwise. Somehow, through the cringe that was middle school, Donovan and I had stayed friends—which was weird because we weren't from the same social circle. I liked that though. I liked having a friend who had no loyalties to my other friends, one that I could have all to myself.

He was the only face I recognized apart from mine in the dream. He often skirted around in a red cloak, carrying a sword too heavy for real Donovan. Since I never really knew Donovan as a child, I dreamt of seventh grade Donovan, which is a sight that no one would find dreamy. He grew into it though, despite still having a nose slightly too big for his face and ears that stuck out a little farther than usual.

"Everybody's been looking for you," Donovan said.

"Yet you were the only one who found me," I said. "Where are all of my princes now?"

"Probably looking for you."

I scoffed. "They're not doing a very good job. They might as well go back to their castles and order a mail-order princess because they'll never find one on their own."

"Harsh."

"I'm serious! Maybe they just need a real adventure to get them off their feet."

"Please don't go looking for danger. You're already costing the kingdom so much in security."

"Come with me then."

"What?"

"You're trained, aren't you? My parents won't worry if you're with me. It'll be fun. I promise."

He looked unsure. "I don't know..."

"You're always talking about these quests and how you never get to go on them. Newsflash, Donovan, you don't have to be on a quest to have an adventure."

"What if I'm needed?"

I rolled my eyes. "There are plenty of people willing to do whatever my father says. You don't need to be his lackey."

"Right. Because I'm yours."

"That's a great mindset. Let's leave tonight then. I'll just pack a knapsack of food and necessities, and then we'll be on our merry way."

"Hold on a second, Princess. We need a plan and approval. We can't just go waltzing out the castle doors like we're going to the market."

"I can't stay cooped up here any longer. I'm going to have to get married soon, so just let me have this one trip before I no longer have my freedom."

He thought for a moment and sighed. "Where do you want to go?"

***

We left by horse that night to avoid anyone that might stop us. "Which prince do you think you're going to end up marrying?" Donovan asked.

"I don't know," I said.

"You've at least thought about this, right?"

"I guess." I paused and wondered if what I wanted to say was appropriate to say out loud. I told myself it was just Donovan and said it anyways. "I don't want to get married. Not now. I'm too young."