four o'clock: legend of the lamp

"I need to be more confident and independent," I told Donovan.

"As wonderful as that sounds, I don't think that's your problem."

"I've just been falling over these guys. I need to show them I'm an independent-"

"-but dependent teenager who so desperately think she needs a man?"

"I hate you, Donovan."

"What's new?"

I rolled my eyes and pulled up the profile of Leon Kosanovich, class president and do-gooder who volunteered at at the county homeless shelter. I needed Donovan to be there for moral support and because there was no way I was going to a homeless shelter alone. I was probably safe, but there was a large part of me that was still terrified out of my wits. I also didn't want to be robbed, not that I had a lot of valuables anyways.

"Are we going to volunteer or are we just going to take food from the needy?"

I shrugged. "I didn't think too much into it."

"Wow."

"Want to grab lunch before we go?"

Donovan and I ate soups and sandwiches at a cafe nearby before we went to the homeless shelter. I wasn't sure if we could just drop in and hang out, but I was counting on the fact that we could. If we couldn't, then I was royally screwed. Donovan no longer questioned my plans, which was fine by me. If he wanted to watch the magic unravel, then more power to him. Besides, it gave me a break from all of his lecturing and negativity.

Even though I wasn't hungry, I had no way of actually talking to Leon, who was serving steamed carrots, unless I went through the line. When I got to him, he had a look of confusion upon his face. "Coralie?" Unlike the others, he knew who I was. "What are you doing here?"

For once, I was at a loss for words. I smiled awkwardly and left the line. I shoved my tray on a random table and found my way to Donovan's side and slumped down. "How'd it go?"

"I didn't say anything to him. So much for being confident," I muttered.

"Does this mean we can go now?"

"No way. I still have a lot planned for us. I will win Leon over even if it kills me."

"I don't think he's worth dying over."

"It's an expression, Donovan."

"I know, Coralie."

"I have to go to the bathroom."

I didn't have to go and even if I did, I would never go here. It didn't matter how clean they were because my pride and my fear of public restrooms (especially this one) would never let me put my pants halfway down, much less put my bare bottom on the toilet. Instead, I snuck into the kitchen, pretended to be a volunteer, and began going through the metal cabinets. I found a plastic Tupperware container and darted out of there as fast as I could.

Donovan took one look at the object in my hand and groaned. "Not again. Kleptomania is not attractive. You have to return this."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Jasmine stole something, so I should to."

"But I really don't think Leon is going to try to defend you."

"No one has to know but us." I discreetly hid the container in my bag. "Now, put your handcuffs on and get ready to hold up the pictures."

His handcuffs were made out of Mom's gold yarn. It gave the illusion of Genie, but they were still fully functional. I printed off scenery pictures and glued them to popsicle sticks. If the printer hadn't been running low on ink, they would've been perfect. Nevertheless, they still looked fabulously exotic.

I kneeled on top of the table and screamed, "Leon, come over here, please!"

He was horrifyingly shocked and the look on his face indicated that this was the last thing he wanted to do, but I knew he was too nice to say so aloud. The person next to him nudged him and he sighed, taking off his hair net and apron. "What is it, Coralie?"

"I was sort-of-maybe hoping that you would sit on this table with me and sing a duet with me?" I flashed him a hopeful smile.

He shook his head. "I don't think so."

"Please? I'll vote for you in the next election!"

He pursed his lips. I knew that my vote wouldn't change the outcome, but Leon was the sort of guy who wanted to win over everyone. The higher the number, the better high he got from the seeing the results. He was that guy, but I was hoping be my guy.

"One song. But that's it."

I grinned. "Great. Do you know 'A Whole New World'?"

"You're joking."

I patted the vacant spot next to me. "Come show me your world."

Leon was a little hesitant at first, which made the beginning difficult because my part came in later, but by the chorus, he was belting out the lyrics as loud as Catrine did in the shower. He even went as far as putting his hands over my eyes, but that might've been because someone decided to whip off his shirt and sway slowly to the music. Donovan changed the scenery frequently throughout the song. Aside from all of the people and the fact that we were in a slightly smelly place, it was a pretty romantic moment.

Once our duet had concluded, he said, "I hope I can count on your vote" and climbed off the table.

"I think that went well," I said to Donovan on our way out.

"Don't count on a second carpet ride."