twelve o'clock: just around the riverbend

I hadn't been our school's natatorium since swim lessons in fifth grade, so it was sort of cool being in there for Donovan's swim meet. When I told him I was going to go watch him, he said, "I thought we already did Ariel."

"Not for me. I'm coming to support you."

"Look, Coralie, that's really sweet of you and everything, but I've already told you that I'm not interested."

"Get over yourself. I'm coming to set you up."

"What are you talking about?"

I shushed him. "Don't worry about it. Let Grandmother Willow take care of you."

He narrowed his eyes. "Why does that name sound so familiar?"

I grabbed his shoulders and pushed him forward. "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming."

"Okay, I can take a hint. You know what time the meet starts, right?"

Of course, I didn't and was there an hour late, but he still had events left. "Go Donovan!" I yelled amongst the sparse crowd. "Whoop their hineys!"

I ignored the confused looks around me.

When Donovan wasn't swimming, I was scanning the other team for Donovan's possible mates. I had no possible way of knowing if any of them were into guys—a minor setback—or if they had a decent, compatible personality, so all that I had left to judge were shallow characteristics.

Donovan always struck me as having a foreign fetish, and word on the bleachers was that there was a foreign exchange student from Spain swimming for the other team—if you know what I mean.

I could see it now. Donovan would protect his home turf from John Smith's greedy self, and along the way, they would fall madly in love until their teams told them to cut off all communication with each other. Their love story would be like Pocahontas meets Romeo and Juliet.

When the swim meet was over and all the swimmers went inside to change, I left with the other swim parents. I never knew that the party took place after the swim meet when all of the parents brought food. It was there, I decided, that Donovan and Spanish John would meet.

"Did you like the swim meet?" Donovan asked.

I waved my head. "Yeah, yeah." I discreetly pointed at Spanish John. "You see that guy over there? The one with the blue cup in his hand?"

"Yeah."

"Well, he's yours. Go talk to him."

"Whoa! I'm not you. I can't just go talk to him. What if he's not even into me?"

"Then you say, 'oh well' and leave."

"I'm not doing it."

"Come on. What do you have to lose?"

"My dignity? Let's just grab a plate and I'll take you home."

"I'm not leaving until you talk to him."

I grabbed several cookies and ran after Donovan when I saw the door close behind him. It wasn't like a sprint down the hallway either. There were several flights of stairs between the balcony—where I was—and the main lobby.

He was still sitting in his car by the time I reached the parking lot. "You waited for me," I said, panting.

"Yup."

"I think I might stop this whole operation."

"Good. I don't need anyone to set me up."

"This isn't about you, stupid. Me. I think I'm approaching this whole thing wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"None of the princesses actually looked for love. It sort of just happens as they're adventuring, you know?" Donovan nodded. "Doing all of these ridiculous things isn't Disney."

"So what're you going to do now?"

"I might get a cat and become that old, crazy lady in the background while everyone else is finding love."

"Now that, Coralie, is the Walt way."

THE END

---

so after getting accused of stalking a woman at the library, i finished the walt way. i hope you have enjoyed reading it as much as i've enjoyed writing it.