eleven o'clock: almost there

Every other day, for as long as I could remember, Mom would make us eat in the dining room because she didn't want us to lose the "family values and traditions" that she had growing up. Everyone else thought it was baloney.

Lexi was pushing around her mashed potatoes with her fork when she said, "What's up with you?"

"Who are you talking to, Lex?" Dad asked.

She pointed her fork at me. "That."

I scowled and narrowed my eyes. "What do you mean?"

"You're acting weirder than usual. You're always singing Disney love songs."

Mom swallowed. "She always does that, Lex. Don't you hear her in the morning? She wakes up the entire house."

"I know that," Lexi said a bit snappier than necessary. "It's just different."

"Well, at least I have friends," I scoffed. "All you do is play with your doll."

"Coralie..." Mom said warningly.

"I'm nine. And I didn't say that you didn't have friends. I just said you were a loser."

"You didn't call me a loser."

"Oh. Well, I was thinking it."

"Girls, enough," Mom said. "Not at the dinner table."

I sighed. "I live such an unfortunate life."

Mom and Lexi rolled their eyes.

"Donovan's been over a lot lately," Dad commented.

"So? Is that a problem?"

"Not at all," Mom said. "It was just an observation, right, honey?"

"Yeah, sure. That's all it was," Dad said. "An observation."

"Why are you two so blind?" Lexi said. "Coralie obviously likes Donovan."

My eyes snapped to hers. "I do not!"

"Coralie, it's okay if you do," Mom said. "You're growing up. It's perfectly normal to have feelings."

"You make me sound like a robot."

"Donovan's a nice boy," she said.

I wanted to bury my head in my plate. At least then the mashed potatoes would cover up the redness of my face. I was even more mortified when Lexi started singing, "Coralie and Donovan sitting in a tree..."

"I can't climb a tree, butthead."

"Why don't you have him over sometime? We can have a cookout. Hot dogs, burgers, the whole deal."

"So he can see all of this? No thanks."

"Oh, come on, Coralie. It'll be fun," Mom said.

"Well, Donovan can't eat any of it. He's a self-proclaimed vegetarian."

"He can have Lexi's bun." Dad laughed.

"Didn't you have chicken nuggets last time he was over?" Lexi asked.

"He recently became one."

"Don't worry, kid," Dad said, "we won't embarrass you."

If only that were true.

***

"Yo, Donovan, want to come over for dinner?"

"Uh, why?" he asked.

I shrugged but then realized he couldn't see me. "My parents want you over."

"What're you having?"

"Grill food. It should be pretty mediocre."

"Man, Coralie, you make it sound so enticing. I love mediocre food."

"Whatever. Just be here at six, okay?"

"Whatever you say, princess."

"Hang up."

"Why can't you?"

"I'm too lazy." In all honesty, I wanted to do the whole "You hang up, no you hang up" thing, but that dream was crushed when I heard the other end beep.

The meat was still frozen by the time five o'clock rolled around, so the food would be ready later than planned. Donovan was already over, and starving, apparently.

"You promised me food," Donovan said. "No food is worse than mediocre food."

"Patience, Donovan."

"Look, Coralie, I have to tell you something. But you have to promise me you won't freak out."

I never knew it was possible for my heart to beat so hard before or my palms to be so sweaty. This must've been what they called "being nervous." I was worrying about how I was going to tell him about my feelings, but he was doing it for me. How could things be so easy yet so nerve-racking at the same time?

"I promise. I feel the same way." My eyes flickered down to his lips, and I leaned in and pressed mine to his.

All of a sudden, I heard, "Coralie," Lexi sang. "Food's ready."

"Lexi, not now," I said. "We're in the middle of something."

"But Mom said to come out now."

"Lexi, leave!"

"It's okay, Coralie," Donovan said. "I'm starved."

Donovan followed Lexi out, leaving part of me to die inside. I didn't feel so bad though. If he was going to reject me, then wouldn't he have already pulled away?

Dinner was sufficiently awkward. At one point, Lexi started singing, "Coralie and—" but I cut her off before she could say another name. Mom started treating him like part of the family and Dad was grilling more than just meat.

I walked Donovan to his car. "Sorry about earlier. What did you want to say?"

"Coralie, you don't have to apologize. I realize if it seemed like I was into you—"

"Wait, what? I was apologizing for Lexi. Not the kiss."

"Listen, Coralie, I don't know how to put this lightly..."

"Then don't."

"I'm not into princesses."

I blinked. "Am I acting like a brat or something?"

"No, Coralie. I mean, yes, but no. Princes. I'm into princes."

All I could think was, Kissing him was supposed to turn me into a frog, not him gay.

And then I thought, I knew it.

"Duh. I was just waiting for you to come out." I punched his arm playfully. "It's about time, Donny."

He raised an eyebrow. "Donny?"

"All right, Donovan. No need to beg. I'll help you."

"Help me what?"

"Help you find your prince, of course."