XIII

PART II - 'Nobody but YOU'

J

I stayed quiet after receiving nothing but silence from her as I watched her pupils widening together with the rhythm of her heartbeat that seemed to have stopped for quite a while.

The pathways were really just as empty as it was, leaving just the gentle sound of the waves dancing beside us, making the scene more romantic as it should have been.

It was just the two of us, standing silently at the middle of the pavements, both staring into each others' eyes, wishing this remarkable moment would last as long as possible.

Why did you make me fall in love,

Jeon Yeri...?

Why must it be you,

Jeon Yeri...?

For god's sake,

You've been driving me insane,

Do you know that?

And why...?

Why do you always act as though we are close?

To the point where I wouldn't hesitate to do anything for you,

To be with you,

To stay with you,

To share my life with you...

I watched her with my eyes softened as she gently took my hands off her shoulders and slowly gave me a warm hug.

She hugged me tighter and tighter, this time giving me soft pats on my back to calm me down as though I was a tiny child impatiently waiting for her response.

"What should I do,

Jay...?

I can't seem to think of anything to say at the moment..."

That was the only thing she said to me.

It was as though there was this bit of sourness sliding down my throat, making me close my eyes to lessen my anxiousness just for a bit.

Well...

You don't have to rush to give me an answer.

I lowered my head and moved her hands off me and slowly left a larger distance between us, noticing how she mumbled something while refusing to meet my eyes.

"Will you give me some time to think this through...?"

I smiled, allowing her more time to take in such a sudden confession as I just stood beside her, staring at her figure.

Of course.

I watched in silence as she finally looked at me again, this time holding a smile on her face despite her tiny droplets of tears that flowed down slowly.

Why're you crying...?

She shook her head and wiped off her tears slowly.

"I'm not."

My heart felt as though it was cruelly squashed with pressure as the sour feeling down my throat grew more and more, a sense of guilt reminded me that I was yet the one who made her cry.

"I'm just... a little mixed with my emotions here and there.

I don't know what is this I am currently feeling,

Why am I feeling this way and-"

"That's okay,"

I held her hands gently and managed to squeeze out a smile despite the uncertainty I was receiving right now.

"You don't have to worry about anything,"

I reassured her as she looked at me with confusion, tears still pooling her eyes.

"I told you...

There is no need to worry when I am here with you,"

She stared at me looking all speechless as her tears stopped flowing and a relieved sigh came out of her mouth.

"Why're you acting so nice to me, Jay...?"

She continued to talk to me through her head as though she wasn't entirely sure if she was in the right place to be talking, yet, she had plenty in her mind.

So many thoughts that she was willing to let me know.

"Why do you always,

Always..."

My mind was empty as I listened to her thoughts, her troubled feelings and the way she was trying her best to make out words for me to understand.

"Care about me...?

You act as tho you don't care,

As tho you were better off not knowing me at all..."

I let out a sigh of guilt as I attempted opening my mouth to explain and defend myself, but no words seemed to appear out of me.

"Am I the one who should be knowing this from the start?

I should've expected this confession all along,

Even with these mixed signals you've given me...?"

She looked at me with an eager expression as though she was demanding for an explanation, a valid excuse as to why I was to treat her in a rude manner and yet, falling in love with her.

Well,

I didn't really know how t-

"I thought you despised me...."

Her lips trembled and tears came flowing out of her eyes again as she cried, gently smacking me on the shoulder.

"You were so mean to me..."

She continued to hit me gently, her tears flowing non-stop as I couldn't help but chuckled for a bit, noticing how adorable she seemed to be.

"I am sorry, Yeri,"

I smiled at her and interlocked my hands with hers as I pulled her into a hug and softly patted her on the back.

"I am so sorry..."

We continued to hug as we both listened to the rhythmic sounds of the waves crashing upon the shore and the beautiful songs of the seagulls ahead of us.

"I apologise for the mixed signals I've been giving you,"

She lifted her head and narrowed her eyes as though she didn't believe in my apology.

"I promise,

I will treat you better from now on,"

-

Thank you for reading 'Whale Tale' Chapter XIII!!

Chapter update: every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9.30pm KST