ˋ°•*⁀➷Chapter Twenty Seven: lies

song of the chapter: Let It Happen - Gracie Abrams

TW: abusive relationship

Most say that falling in love is the best thing that can happen to you. You find someone who inextricably knows you inside out. Your likes, dislikes, bad habits, pet peeves. They love you in spite of and for them all.

Most say that love leads to happiness, to fulfilment.

Most.

When Amy Matthews fell in love with James White she believed that she had found her person. The person she'd make a husband, a father, help raise their children, be there for, grow old with, die with.

In the early days of their relationship, the two lived in complete bliss. Their honeymoon period was characterised by early mornings tangled up in their sheets, their naked limbs intertwined with one another. Afternoons lounging around in his garden, the warmth of the sun shining down onto their youthful faces as Amy lay safe in his arms. Hours spent staring at one another, in complete silence but also in awe. Evenings where they liked to replicate the tantalising feeling of their first few dates, each taking turns to cook the other a meal, sit in their company under candlelight and talk about everything and nothing, always in some form of physical contact with the other, either holding hands or entwining legs.

It was the kind of relationship Amy had yearned for throughout her teenage years, having spent much of them with her head in countless romance books. She had craved the type of love that she had read, believing she'd never be lucky enough to find it, because after all, it was just fiction. Hence, she kept her guard up throughout high school, steering clear of the boys around her if they showed her any sort of attention. It was pretty easy to do considering they were all reckless, immature and selfish, the attention they gave being unsolicited and entirely physical. They wouldn't be able to show her the kind of love she wanted, not at their age, not ever.

But James changed her perception of the world.

He showed her that she was capable and deserving of this kind of love and happiness.

That's probably why she found it so hard to leave him. Why she constantly made excuses for his behaviour. Why she still loved him. Even after each demeaning comment, each denial of seeing her friends or family, each strike of his hand.

She still loved him.

That's the thing with relationships - there's always a honeymoon period. Some are lucky enough to never leave it. Some are lucky if it lasts a few years, usually up until they have kids. Some aren't so lucky and it lasts for mere months. Amy was one of the unlucky ones.