Part 7 - Chapter 6

6

I slouched on the worn red couch in my dad's study with Andy's laptop, already lonely for Danni's once constant company, and with every intention of working on my resume. But I was so easily distracted that hours passed and I accomplished absolutely nothing.

I Googled myself. Very little came up. Some papers I wrote, a couple of events and committees I led. I Googled Grace Kelly. Holy crap she was gorgeous. Then I Googled Danni. Three or four websites came up recounting her wedding with pictures and descriptions of every detail and person in attendance. I never noticed any reporters at the wedding. And other than the photographer she hired, I didn't see anyone taking pictures.

There was only one of Haven kissing me, but the one that particularly caught my eye was of us dancing. In it, my face held the expression of a girl who'd just met prince charming, and he had the smirk of someone who knew he looked like prince charming to a girl. The arrogant jerk. Really handsome, good-tasting, and occasionally well-mannered, arrogant jerk.

There were random comments left by other readers questioning who I was, or if Haven Casey was finally dating again, and a bunch of other inane nothings.

I Googled Haven Casey. Dozens of websites came up. Danni was right, I was living under a rock. I randomly clicked on one of the sites and read:

...In rare but candid form today, Haven Casey, son of the renowned Harlan Casey, was seen engaging in a soccer game with the youth of a small town in the African country of Uganda – one of numerous areas that benefit from the support of the Casey fortune. The Casey family has devoted its influence and financial support to many causes over past generations, and the world may be encouraged to know that their scion will follow in their wake. Haven Casey was here today to establish new HIV/AIDS services for the local community and surrounding areas. Mr. Casey took some time out from his game for a brief interview..."

Someone entered the house then and I quickly shut the laptop. "Hmmm..." I thought, "It seems maybe Haven Casey isn't as one-dimensional as he's been abused for."

The following Saturday I received a travel itinerary from my grandmother. My plan to circumvent a visit with her had yet to form, and was therefore overthrown. The only strategy that ever developed was my deliberately not calling or receiving her calls for the purpose of putting off my departure, but clearly she wasn't thwarted.

Andy, Nick and Sam just thanked their lucky stars they'd been spared from her summons. My father, though he felt awful for my being sacrificed, was willing to do just about anything to make amends with his mother-in-law after so many years of being actively despised.

On the morning of my departure, Sam and Nick were at the kitchen table working on Sudoku puzzles while Andy stood in front of the open door of the refrigerator waiting for something to present itself. "Tabby," he said without looking up, "why don't you see if Nana'll hook you up with one of her rich friends?"

Sam scoffed "Like she has friends."