Part 18 - Chapter 17

17

Since Fitch's visit earlier in the week I was a little bit hesitant to bump into him. Still, I was sure he wouldn't make any attempt to do anything in daylight on the well-attended streets of Townsend, and I felt secure in making my rounds in town as normal. And because it was now irrefutable, even to me, that I had to come clean with Haven at the first opportunity, I decided to brave the odds. I realized I should probably also consider confessing to my grandmother, but I didn't want to burst her bubble quite yet. Besides, hers might need to be in the form of a letter sent after I already reached the safety of my father's house, depending on whatever "important thing" it was she had to tell me before I left.

I was determined however, the next time I saw Haven, to tell him the truth. I supposed even if he bothered to think about it for more than ten seconds, by the time he could devise a plan of retaliation I would have safely reinstated myself in Madison as the nonentity I knew how to be.

I passed by all the same stores and patrons I now knew well -waving to Grace at the dog-treat bakery and nodding with neighbors who were always far less motivated to nod with Nana- destined once again for the coffee shop with the prospect of finding Haven. He wasn't there, and Doug said he knew Haven was back in town, but hadn't seen him yet. I tried the park, wondering if he was walking Jack and spied Greenleigh next to the SUV parked in the street just outside it.

A small flurry of adrenaline went through me at the possibility of seeing Haven, before I remembered I wasn't supposed to feel that anymore. "Hi Greenleigh," I waved, "you wouldn't know where I could find Haven, would you?"

"Good afternoon, Miss," he answered tolerantly, "I always know where Mr. Casey is. It's my business to know." He paused for a long moment and I wondered if he wouldn't tell me more. Finally, he continued with, "At the moment, he is with his tailor and his brother at the Lodge. He does not plan to return to Townsend today." Greenleigh wasn't fidgety, had no expression of opinion or even inflection in his voice. "I am to meet him there in a few hours if you would like me to relay a message." He concluded.

"No." I shook my head, "No thank you. I'll probably see him tonight." I, on the other hand, was incredibly fidgety, and didn't know where to look. Greenleigh's impenetrable calm was terrifying and I couldn't begin to know how to conceal my nervousness around him. "It's about time this rain cleared up, huh?" I was exerting a tremendous amount of effort to sound blasé and he responded with a blank stare.

"As you say, Miss." He was nothing if not matter-of-fact. I smiled and started to walk away.

I supposed, if I'd been in Greenleigh's position and had to encounter all the idiots bound to be constantly in Haven's company over the years, I wouldn't bother with anyone's name either. Still, it stung a little that he maintained such a cold distance.

"Miss Tabitha," He called before I had completely turned, "Mr. Casey did ask me to tell you, if I were to see you, that he will be sending a car for you and your grandmother this evening at nine thirty." So he did know my name.

"Thank you Greenleigh," I replied, inexplicably relieved at knowing he could identify me. And then I remembered I was angry with Haven. He had a lot of nerve making any sort of arrangements for me like I was his pet. "You can tell Mr. Casey that we've already made our plans."

"Yes, Miss. Mr. Casey's taken the liberty of replacing your original arrangements with his own services."

He didn't leave much room for argument, I'll give him that.

I returned home, stomping peevishly into my Grandmother's foyer. "Tabitha!" Beverly's harassed voice called from upstairs, "is that you!?" There was the sound of running footsteps and she appeared at the banister on the second level. "Your hair! Your grandmother is beside herself! Hustle, hustle, hustle!!"