Part 19 - Chapter 18

18

We entered the colossal, brightly lit conservatory, which was strewn with fountains, and though in no need of additional beauty, was draped in white flowers. The floor was a puzzle of black and white tiles, which may have coincidentally lent itself to the theme, but I suspected the more likely probability that they had the floor replaced for the event.

Haven was with his family on a platform set to one side of the main room, the four of them standing in front of a backdrop displaying the logo for the fundraiser. They greeted guests, posed for pictures and answered questions asked by the very limited and specific media permitted to attend.

It was the first time I witnessed Haven in his reputed position, and he was entirely impressive. He appeared as natural in the spotlight as most people did breathing. And though he wasn't by any means overdressed, or making any attempt to stand out, somehow his classic elegance and style managed to make every other man in the room look as though they were caught in a windstorm on their way here.

Nana and I paused just inside the threshold for a moment before fully committing ourselves to an entrance. Within a few steps, Nana found a reflective surface so she could admire herself once more, and I was granted an opportunity to watch Haven without being seen.

His smile was engaging, but it didn't reach his eyes. It was definitely the practiced version and not the one I had been allowed the sight of so frequently. I wondered what I could ever do to make someone like him even look twice in my direction. Hordes of women, old and young, were fawning over him. They were polite to Darling, Harlan and Weston as well, but Haven made them absolutely giddy.

Nana's steps were short and unhurried, so we toddled into the room at a pace that made me feel more grateful than slowed down. I practiced for only about forty five minutes in my new shoes and had yet to master them completely, particularly while wearing a dress which, although beautiful and surprisingly comfortable, was tricky to maneuver in such heels with lace so precariously near them.

We progressed toward the cluster of Casey-family fever that was overtaking the crowd, and although the ribbon of guests flowing into the gala was steady, we noticeably arrived among the latecomers. I wondered whether it was out of consideration that Haven had us show up when we wouldn't be crushed by a crowd, or if he wanted to make sure he could mingle with the people he preferred before being obligated to associate with the B and C list-ers.

He remained on the platform with the other members of his family, checking his watch impatiently before casting an eye over the room. Eventually his gaze travelled toward the entryway where my grandmother and I were still walking, completely passing over us both. We were hidden in a palette of black and white.

Greenleigh was stationed at the far door, and Haven caught his eye. Greenleigh nodded toward where Nana and I were walking, and Haven followed his gaze. He scanned by again before his eyes snapped back to rest on my face, having discerned us from the general mass of two-toned attire.

His more natural smile, the one I knew, suddenly returned when our eyes met. For an instant I could see no one but him.

The change in his expression sent cameras off like gunfire in his direction, and, just seconds later, at me. I felt like I should turn promptly around and crawl back under the rock I slid out from under, but his expression drew me to him.

Darling's attention was caught by the sudden flutter of cameras, and followed Haven's stare, seeing me. She waved and smiled before turning to Weston, and whispered something in his ear. By the time we took three steps further, Weston was making a gracious announcement to the crowd welcoming them, inviting them to enjoy their evening, and to remember that any donations made this evening were for a good cause and were tax deductible. I doubted if he ever learned what that cause might be.