09 - Sundown Over the Coast

July 6th, 2021. California, United States of America.

A rather luxurious car pulls up on the driveway of San Diego's Pinkerton security office.

The driver steps out, buttoning his suit and walks up to the entrance. He enters, going straight to the receptionist.

"I have a 10:00. Lawrence."

The receptionist searches the list of appointments, looking back up at the man.

"Ah, Mr. Lawrence. Agent Newman is ready for you. Please follow me."

"Wonderful." He replies, trailing behind the receptionist through the office.

The two traveled through the busy San Diego office space, eventually arriving at a single private office door. The plaque on the front read "Sec. Agt. / P.I. Gerald Newman". His office was secluded away as to reduce the distraction from the work he does. Clearly he was respected among his peers.

The receptionist lightly knocked on the door.

"Come in." A middle-aged man's voice rang out from the other side.

The receptionist opened the door.

"Agent Newman, Mr. Lawrence is here to see you."

"Ah, Mr. Lawrence. How are you today, sir?" The agent politely greeted, offering to shake his guest's hand.

Mr. Lawrence silently took a seat, ignoring his gestures. The receptionist felt uncomfortable, so she quietly closed the door and left.

"I think you know how I feel, agent." Mr. Lawrence finally replied, slumping into his seat.

The agent was annoyed, but he remained polite.

"...yes. I understand your attitude, but I believe you can trust that-"

"No, I don't think I can. Your men did little to nothing to prevent this from happening. You are giving me very little reason to believe that I should trust you and your men in the future."'

The agent was caught off guard from his guest's interruption, but he wasn't in much of a position to talk back. He did not want to lose such a well-paying client.

"We are very sorry for what happened, Mr. Lawrence." He began. "However, you must understand that several of our men were killed while on the job. We have been providing you some of the most high quality security and protection services. It is more likely, therefore, that the perpetrators of this crime were... underestimated..."

Mr. Lawrence put his feet up on the desk, abusing his superior position in this discussion.

"If your men are underestimating criminals and thieves, and not just any thieves, but thieves who have the agency and planning to steal a multi-million dollar watercraft... I might just need to take my business elsewhere."

The agent felt rage boiling inside of him, but he remained calm as to hold on to this high-value client. He sighed, taking a quick glance at Mr. Lawrence's designer brand shoes propped up on his desk before looking back up to face his client.

"We believe we know who the perpetrators are, Mr. Lawrence. The surviving witnesses describe them as a man in his late 50s, a teenage boy, and a child. They match the descriptions of the Strafford family, who have a warrant for arrest in several states including New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Missouri, and Utah."

Mr. Lawrence scoffed.

"The 21st century and the government still hasn't caught a few outlaws living 100 years ago? Some law enforcement."

The agent shook his head.

"They've done well concealing their identities and living off the grid. We believe they may have fled the country. And if that is true, United States Law Enforcement will not be of much help to you personally. We are still your best bet at finding your stolen property as well as the criminals who have taken it."