14 - No Longer in the Shadow

November 20th, 2021. Shikoku Region, Japan.

Mr. Lawrence sat in his hotel room. He found himself deeply invested in his novel. He had already read "The Great Gatsby" several times, but he never got tired of the tale set in the roaring 20s. He heard a knock on his room's door, so he approached it and looked through the peephole.

Agent Newman stood on the other side with two other Pinkerton agents. Mr. Lawrence sighed as he opened the door.

"Come on in, Newman."

The three men sat across from Mr. Lawrence as he reluctantly set aside his book. He sat up straight and met Newman's gaze, throwing his hands up in the air.

"So?"

Newman cleared his throat and adjusted his tie.

"There's been a spike in Yakuza activity in Osaka."

Mr. Lawrence slumped into his chair.

"Ok? And?"

"We've spoken with the police. This was unprompted and sudden turf war. A known Yakuza-controlled office was slaughtered, and the supposed perpetrating rival was raided. Its leaders were arrested-"

"Newman, why would I care about about Japan's gang violence? This has absolutely nothing to do with our targets."

"Mr. Lawrence... please be patient."

Mr. Lawrence got up from his seat and approached his hotel's kitchen. He specifically paid for a room that would have the most comforts and luxuries. He poured himself a cup of coffee from his pot.

"I'm listening, Newman. Please keep me interested."

Newman sat with anger brewing underneath, but he pushed his frustrations aside and continued.

"The leader of the arrested organization spoke out. He has testified that he put up a foreigner to the slaughter. An American man. His description matches closely with Marty Strafford, although his current whereabouts are unknown. The same can be said for the children, we still have no information regarding Calvin nor Archer Strafford."

Mr. Lawrence walked back over and placed his mug on the table. He sat up straight again in his chair. The room was quiet for a moment as nobody spoke another word. Suddenly, Mr. Lawrence looked Newman in the eyes.

"Can those two exit the room for a moment?"

Newman, confused, accepted the request. The two other Pinkerton agents quickly exited the hotel room, waiting outside. Mr. Lawrence was now alone with Agent Newman.

Mr. Lawrence took a sip from his coffee, before he calmly faced Newman again.

"Newman, are you a family man?"

Newman simply nodded, not sure as to why he was being asked, but he opened his mouth.

"You could say so. I'm an aging man, and my children are grown as well, but I cherish my family like any other..."

Mr. Lawrence accepted the answer, taking another sip from his mug.

"Why are you asking, sir?" Newman added on.

Mr. Lawrence cleared his throat, getting ready to speak.

"I have been here for several months. And, it seems I will continue to be here for several months more. You say you are a family man, so do you understand the plight of a family man separated from his kin?"

Newman understood what he was saying now, so he shifted to a more professional posture.

"I understand, sir. We are doing all we can, but as I've said, the Straffords are doing well to cover their tracks-"