Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Ch. 7: The Pack

Kaia

Nero's lips moved as he spoke to Aurora, but all I could hear was incessant ringing.

People moved and some more words were exchanged.

I was distantly aware that someone had plucked up the little boy huddled by my side, and then all I could see was Nero, crouched on one knee in front of me.

"Kaia?" he said, eyes searching mine. "You weren't answering me when I called for you."

As his words registered, my senses suddenly snapped into focus, using his voice as an anchor to keep me from keeling over from the impact of emotions running rampant in my mind.

Everyone had left now, including the sobbing woman. Only Nero and I remained behind with the soft sounds of whispering wind, interspersed with the song of rustling leaves.

What happened? I asked, opening my mind to Nero.

"I've decided to check out the situation. I'm going to meet the boy." Nero replied, his gaze intent on me.

Bring me with you.

Nero shook his head. "You will need to remain behind. This is a task I need to see through. The Alpha King expects me to deal with this in his stead."

And I can't help you?

Nero slightly tilted his head as his gaze turned studious. "And what can you do that will help this situation, Kaia?"

His tone wasn't condescending, and neither was his expression as he waited for me to answer.

My tongue was heavy and bitter in my mouth.

What could I say to Nero? Frankly, he had no reason for me to go, but if that boy, if he truly was sickened by fine silver, I could help.

I had to convince Nero to let me go with him.

If not...that boy would surely die and I couldn't–– didn't want to have another stain on my hands.

I had to do this.

Maverick was no longer here to stop me, but there was Nero. He probably thought I was some crazy, unreasonable woman who wanted in on the action.

Just take me there. I need to look at the boy up close. I softened my tone.

"Taking you out of this pack right now is too big a risk. Maverick is still on the loose, and we have your pack mates here. Although we're keeping a close eye on them, they are free to wander since it's their Alpha who stirred up trouble."

I can help, Nero. If fine silver is the cause of the boy's affliction, I can help.

He had to believe me.

Nero blinked, pausing for a few brief seconds. "You speak my name like you've known it your whole life."

Alpha.

"I can't take you with me." Nero sighed. "There is nothing you can do if the boy is suffering from a wound inflicted by fine silver. Even the strongest shifters are nothing in comparison to even the smallest sum of that lethal metal."

He wasn't relenting.

Disappointment spread in my chest, clenching around my lungs.

What did I have to do to make him take me?

I still had so many secrets I was keeping, and having Nero aware of them could potentially put him at deeper crossroads with the Alpha King. He already knew too much already.