Prologue

I stumbled up the walkway, tears in my eyes and blood on my hands. I practically tripped up the steps and fell into the door. I picked myself back up and wiped the tears from under my eyes.

I was confused, I was exhausted, and my feet hurt. The knife in my pocket felt like a dead weight. I was an absolute mess.

I used what little energy I still had in me and clenched my hand into a fist, knocking on the door.

How I got here from the concert venue, someone was kind enough to pick me up off the side of the street and take me to the street. How I knew this was the street she lived on, I remember once when I was talking to her while I was wearing orange she told me she lived on this street. How I knew which house was hers, well, it was the only mailbox with KING written on the side in sticker letters.

I took a step back and glanced back over my shoulder, paranoid, just as the door opened. I turned around and saw Jane. A worried look crossed her face.

"You need to help me," I told her without letting her say a word, grabbing her by the shirt and pulling her close to me. "Please." My heart pounded against my chest and tears streamed down my cheeks.

"Patrick, why do you-"

"No, there's no time to ask questions, Jane,"  I cut her off, a crazy look in my eyes. I needed her. I did something I shouldn't have and I had no one to turn to. No friends, no family. She was all I had. "Will you, or will you not help me?"

"W-What do you want me to do?" She stuttered nervously.

"I need you to keep me out of trouble."